1

rosie's p.o.v

sometimes i have to stop and ask myself if i'm related to satan himself, or if i actually am satan. sometimes it feels as though my whole world is shrouded in darkness and the only feasible explanation is that i am in fact the devil.

however there's also moments like these, in which it feels as though nothing can touch me.

"hey that's not fair! you can't jump up on the table! tony tell her that's cheating, she's small it won't break underneath her!".

dad grins from his position on the couch, his amusement evident and fuelling my energy "stop being a sore loser rhodes".

rhodey scowls leaning against the counter with a grumble about how when he was a kid he would never have disrespected his elders or whatever.

"you're just jealous" i state with a wiggle of my hips "because i have more skill than you".

"little rat" rhodey growls with a flicker of a smile, making his way towards the table where i'm currently dancing. he catches me off guard as i turn around, grabbing my waist and pulling me off the table, i shriek as he holds me above his head and throws me as if i'm a newborn baby.

"now this!" i shriek "this is definitely cheating".

the man just laughs "you snooze you lose rosie, you snooze you lose".

dad rolls his eyes and hops over the back of the couch "give me back my kid" he reaches up and takes me from my uncle with an amused smile, swinging me around the room.

"stop it" i giggle "i'm dizzyyy".

"as you wish" dad nods and drops my flailing body onto the couch "dance off is officially over, jarvis who won?".

"i'm inclined to believe that rosalie possesses more skill than colonel rhodes".

i cheer and sit up to relish in rhodey's irritation, he just got thrashed by an eleven year old "beat you".

"yeah i'll beat you in a minute" he threatens, causing dad to raise his eyebrows.

"that's enough bickering children, time to watch the news".

"the news?" i screw my face up in disgust "can't we watch pocahontas or something?".

"i opt for the news because rosalie opted against it" rhodey adds and i raise my bow in the air.

"i'm armed, you're not".

blatantly ignoring me, dad puts on the news, and i really wish he hadn't.

"some people call me a terrorist, i consider myself a teacher. america, ready for another lesson. in 1864 in sand creek colorado the u.s. military waited till the friendly cheyenne braves all gone hunting, waited to attack and slaughter their families left behind, and claim their land. thirty-nine hours ago the ali al salem air base in kuwait was attacked. i...i...i did that. a quaint military church filled with wives and children, of course. the soldiers were out on maneuver, the braves were away. president ellis you continue to resist my attempts to educate you, sir. and now, you've missed me again. you know who i am, you don't know where i am, and you'll never see me coming".

i'm completely frozen. i don't want this, i don't this kind of thing again. just the man's face gives me flashes of fire and burning and pain. i don't want this again, not again.

no one says anything, until my brother decides to speak up.

"sorry, is this a bad time?"

i'm broken out of the trance as the news fades into background noise and i'm suddenly aware of my brother, who's stood in the corner of the room with an awkward smile.

"venus?!" i stare at him with an open mouth for a second before jumping off the couch and running into his arms "what the hell?! why are you here?".

if i didn't know better, i'd say a grimace of what was almost pain flashed across his face. maybe i don't know better "there's um.. there's some stuff going on in asgard, you're needed".

"like.. now? because it looks like there's some stuff going on on earth too" i glance back to the tv and my dad who simply shrugs.

"we can handle earth, it's best if i don't get involved in your god things".

"i uh.. okay.. dad can you walk neoptolemus?" i glance towards my dog who's curled up in the opposite corner.

rhodey mumbles under his breath "stupid name". usually i'd argue it, but i let it slide for now.

"yeah sure, i'll look after neo, you look after yourself" he walks over from his position by the couch and pulls me into a quick hug "be careful, don't be long".

i press my face into his t-shirt "love you".

"love you too cubs".

so with my bow and arrow in hand, i follow my brother to asgard.

"what kind of situation?" i ask with a sceptical frown as we make our way into the castle. in my experience, a situation could range from anything to do with a lost cat, to a full on war. i'd like to know what i'm throwing myself into beforehand.

venus chews the inside of his cheek, something i've realised all of my siblings do when they're nervous. i wait a few moments but it gets to a point where i'm certain that either he didn't hear me, or he's ignoring me. so i stop walking.

"getting a bit of deja vu now" i tell him with a sigh "just tell me, whatever it is i'll deal with it".

"we've got a war, and we need as many warriors as we can get".

i close my eyes as the words seep in. a war.. a war.. warrior.. me? i can't be a warrior, i barely survived loki's attack on new york and his only army was the chitauri. "you didn't want my dad to know" i say before it really registers in my head. it all makes sense really, there's no way that dad would let me go and fight in a war.

venus almost winces at my realisation and hangs his head guiltily "sorry rae, we're getting desperate". i analyse his face for a moment. desperation definitely seems like the right word to describe him right now. there are bags under his eyes, his hair is a mess, he looks like he got dressed in the dark.

"what do you need me to do?".

so the darkness is back again, i'm unceremoniously reunited with my demons and there's nothing i can do to stop it.