9

rosie's p.o.v

"stay in the car" nat clearly grows impatient as happy climbs out once we reach hammer industries.

"i'm not staying in the car, you can't take an eight year old and not me" happy complains loudly. nat and i ignore him, dashing up the steps towards the doors.

"i said, stay in the car" she repeats as she sets to work on the coding to the doors.

"what are you wearing?" he frowns, looking her up and down and observing her costume change "look, i'm not letting you two go in there alone".

i scoff and pull my curls up into a ponytail, readying myself for battle. i'm pretty sure that im absolutely capable.

"you want to help?" nat patronises as if she's talking to a three year old "keep the car running".

however just as she unlocks the door, happy bursts through "okay" he cheers, painfully contradictive of his actions.

i ignore him though, i can't be focusing on him right now.

"you got this tiny, do as i do" nat tells me confidently as we stroll into the facility.

a security guard protests our entry, but it's short lived because nat punches him in the face. i would've laughed if it wasn't for the fact that i can see things happening tonight, i can hear screams and people in pain, dad looking more worried and angry than ever.

i run straight past the first two security guards but i'm stopped by the third.

"hi honey where are your parents?"

"one's on another planet and the other is currently flying through the sky" i answer honestly, not sure what other answer i can give.

he looked at me for a moment and i take it to my advantage, kicking him in the balls and then pushing him right over. silently thanking loki and thor for the combat training back in asgard i continue down the hall. in front of me, nat tases two guys in one with some cool little electric things and i run around them.

a broad guy stands in front of me, blocking my path, so i drop to my knees and slide across the polished floor between his legs before jumping to my feet and running again.

before long the hallways are completely clear and nat and i continue walking, happy shouts something in the distance but the adrenalin coursing through my veins prevents me from hearing  what it is.

i mean, if that's what it is, it feels like more than adrenalin though. i feel powerful and i never feel powerful.

"good job" nat congratulates as we make our way through countless halls.

i suck in a breath "thanks, you too".

moments later we burst into the room that should contain ivan, spoiler alert it doesn't. nat diverts her attention immediately to a computer, typing furiously. i follow her and join in, not wanting to be made redundant but also hoping i can help out faster.

"what are you doing?" happy asks natasha as i try to decode the firewall.

"i'm rebooting rhodey's suit" her eyes don't even leave the screen as she completes the code and we gain access.

"do your thing" nat shifts to make room for me and i get to work starting it up again.

"reboot complete" i confirm once finished.

dad appears on the screen and nat nods "you got your friend back".

"thank you very much, agent romanoff".

i clear my throat, i'm not having her take all of the credit.

"cubs?" dad frowns as he realises i'm there too.

"your kid is cool" natasha says before quickly changing the subject "well done on the new chest piece. i am reading significantly higher output and your vitals all look promising".

"yes, for the moment, i am not dying. thank you".

it's not much of a shock to me, i knew about the blood toxicity but i'd already seen it being sorted so it wasn't an issue.

as pepper joins in the conversation, evidently horrified that dad didn't tell her he was dying, i become aware of a slight discomfort along my upper back.

when i say slight, i mean it started off as a low ache that only bothered me a little, but as they got louder so did the pain.

"nat" i mumble to no avail, she's listening to dad and pepper argue. "nat" i try again, a little louder and she hums to acknowledge my words "i know you're kind of busy right now.. with saving the country and everything... but my back hurts".

well shit my problems sound like nothing in comparison to ivan vanko. nevertheless, nat turns around to look at me "you're kind of pale" she observes with a frown.

"you good roo?" i hear dad ask from the computer.

"i um.. i think so" i completely lie, not really thinking about the words forced out of my mouth as the room blurs into one big light.

"rosalie?" nat's hand presses on my shoulder as she moves away from the screen completely.

i barely hum a "yeah?" before swaying a little. then everything goes black and i hit the floor with a thud.

im beginning to think that this is going to be an annual thing.

when i open my eyes again im still in what used to be vanko's room, lying on the floor. natasha is hovering above me, two fingers on my neck.

"hey sleepy, nice nap?" she moves her hand away, probably satisfied that i have a pulse.

i wince as i push myself to sit "something feels off".

"no kidding you just passed out on us, thought we had a repeat of last year" happy rolls his eyes from the corner of the room but i ignore him.

"are you in pain? you said your back hurt" natasha queries. she looks over my shoulder to look at my back and immediately looks a little shaken "take your jacket off".

i pull a face but shrug it off all the same, uncertain as to what she's shocked about until i feel my back relax. silence covers us completely as i look over my shoulder to see two pure white wings. literal, feathered, poofed up wings.

wings. i have wings.

"oh my god" natasha breathes, reaching for her phone and bringing it up to her ear "stark? you're gonna wanna see this".