5

rosie's p.o.v

"i don't like it" steve whispers to my dad.

i'm against dad's chest, his arms wrapped around me to hold me in place and also settle my nerves after his and loki's small standoff. i didn't like that, i didn't like that at all and dad knows it. i can sense his guilt.

"what? rock of ages giving up so easily?" dad whispers back.

"i don't remember it ever being that easy. that guy packs a wallop".

i nod "i can confirm that he is capable of much more. i've seen him in action".

"still, you are pretty spry for an older guy. what's your thing? pilates?"

i can't help but grin at the mental image of captain doing pilates in his blue lycra. it's a beautiful thing.

"what?"

"it's like calisthenics" dad tries to explain to no real avail "you might've missed a couple things, you know, doing time as a capsicle".

i giggle at that and dad smiles in accomplishment, the only audience he needs is me, naturally.

steve meets dad's eyes for a moment before saying "fury didn't tell me he was calling you in".

dad is suddenly serious, much more than he's been lately "yeah, there's a lot of things fury doesn't tell you.

i'm sure either steve or i would have enquired further but we're cut off by a crash of thunder. a wide smile spreads across my face, but loki looks horrified.

lightening comes almost terrifyingly close to the quinjet and we shake violently.

"what's the matter?" steve asks "scared of a little lightening?". everyone looks at loki who shakes his head.

"i'm not overly fond of what follows".

i grin even wider, climbing down from dad's arms "i am".

the ramp flies open and there stands uncle thor. he grabs loki around the throat and flies out. steve and dad just stare for a moment.

"roos was that.."

"yes. it. was" i shake my head.

"another asgardian?" nat asks and i nod.

"friendly?" steve raises an eyebrow.

"he taught me how to ballroom dance!" i smile at the memory.

"doesn't matter. if he frees loki or kills him the tesseract's lost. rosalie you stay here don't you even think about getting involved" he turns to jump out of the jet before captain protests.

"stark, we need a plan of attack!"

his ego glowing through his armour again, he responds "i have a plan, attack".

then he's gone.

steve immediately rushes to get a parachute to follow him, at which i roll my eyes.

nat apparently reads my mind "i'd sit this one out cap".

"i don't see how i can".

"these guys come from legends" she warns "they're practically gods".

cap laughs and shakes his head "there's only one god ma'am, and i'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that".

it's my turn to laugh "actually" i interrupt and grab my bow off the seat "there's quite a few of us" my wings and antlers pop out as i move towards the exit "and none of us picked blue spandex".

with that, i jump out of the jet before remembering that i've literally never flown before.

wind whistles past me as i fall, a sensation which i think i would've enjoyed if i wasn't drawing closer to my death. my stomach lurches as i desperately try to convince my body to float. it isn't until i remember to breathe and open my eyes that i realise i'm not falling anymore.

i'm upright, looking across at the world below me. there are mountains and trees as far as i can see. it's the kind of place where i often long to be. i can't fight the feeling of freedom that encloses me when i realise that my wings are beating behind me. i'm flying in my idea of heaven.

out of the corner of my eye i spot a parachute floating towards the ground, presumably attached to captain. i decide with a sigh that i'll have to enjoy this experience later on, as right now there's a bit of a family feud going on.

i angle my body downwards so as the air is pushed behind me by my wings i fly in the direction of the floating cap.

i'm certainly not very steady and i tilt a few times by accident, but i reach my destination before cap does and i suppose that's something.

as my feet hit the ground i stumble a little but quickly regain my balance. it's tranquil, calm, the leaves seem to sing as they dance down to the ground and everything is perfect. or, it would be, if it wasn't for the fact that thor and my dad are facing off against each other a few meters away.

"LADY RAE HAVE YOU COME TO ASSIST" thor booms when he realises i'm there.

dad turns in surprise, and i'm pretty sure he'd look angry if it wasn't for the fact that with his suit he always looks menacing "rosalie what did i tell you about staying out of the way".

i shrug and walk forwards, stretching my wings out behind me as big as they go to look as scary as you can as a ten year old girl "i'm not here to fight".

"you got that right" dad warns.

"i'm here to keep the peace" i narrow my eyes and lift my head "also remind you that the more time you two spend hitting each other the less time we have to retrieve loki and get the tesseract".

dad pauses before nodding "yeah we should.. we should go get him".

we begin to turn away but i'm cut off by that damned patriotic shield slicing the air right in front of me. i exhale heavily when i'm forced to halt quickly to avoid being chopped.

"hey! that's enough!" steve shouts and i roll my eyes. i literally just sorted this and he's going to take the credit. the shield is back on his hand and he jumps down off of a fallen tree, his focus on thor "now i don't know what you're planning on doing here".

thor complies "i've come here to put an end to loki's schemes!".

i roll my eyes again, folding my wings behind me "this is my planet, you have asgard".

the blonde god gives me an apologetic smile before steve ignores me and carries on "then prove it! put the hammer down".

i gulp. that was not a good move.

"um, yeah, no!" dad shouts, clearly mirroring my thoughts "bad call! he loves his hammer!". then he's brutally backhanded by the mjolnir, flying into a tree behind thor.

"thor come on" i plead knowing that im not going to stand a chance against him if it comes down to it.

i'm ignored once again as he locks eyes with steve and raises the hammer "you want me to put the hammer down?". thor jumps into the air with the mjolnir above his head as steve crouches and protects himself with his shield.

i, however, am left unprotected. i'm just standing there, watching as  hammer meets shield and a light bursts on impact.

then i'm in the air, thrown from my feet by the unforgiving force and flying though not by choice. i tumble head over heels through the air and only when i'm out of range of the blast am i given a moment to open my wings to keep myself in the sky.

the light diminishes quickly and i curse under my breath as i fly quickly back down to my original spot where my dad seems to be looking around for me.

"ah roos, there you are, you all good?" he seems nonchalant but still allows his faceplate to retract so he's looking at me properly.

"i'm fine" i grumble, flipping my hair over my head so i can pull it into a ponytail "my first day as the guardian of earth was bound to be rocky".

"i see you got the hang of those wings though, good job cubs" he congratulates with a grin.

"thanks".

"are we done here?" cap asks.

yes, yes we most definitely are.