October 6th - Feedback

Truth be told I have mixed feelings on this one, and perhaps it is simply because I am not used to reading contemporary romance. Either way, I feel like the author is definitely pouring her heart into it, and that much certainly shows. The main character Phoebe seems pretty likable and so does her friend Ada, while some of the other characters, namely Nathan, strike me as sleazy (which if that was the point then kudos). However, the issues with grammar, pacing, and a lack of description in some places confused me at times and made me enjoy it less than I otherwise would have. I definitely like the concept behind the book, so I think that the author has good ideas, it's the actual execution of it that made me enjoy it less. I will probably keep on reading it and commenting in an attempt to help the author with some of these issues. 

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I think that the most well done part of the book was the rape in chapter 1. It was raw and full of so much negative emotion, as such a scene should be. It was treated as being as horrifying as it should be. It probably needed a trigger warning at the start but I am willing to overlook that mostly due to my own tendency not to add them. Anyway, I think that the author should keep on improving her writing. I would recommend the author find an editor to help with the grammar issues or send it to a friend to proofread before posting. And that's about all I have to say, just my two cents. I hope it didn't come across as harsh! 

– Medula

*~*~*

It's a good story written by a lovely author who handles terrible issues tactfully, with compelling and realistic characters. There are some pace issues here and there, and significant grammar issues make it sometimes hard to read. But nothing that can't be fixed by some in-depth copy editing. 

– Lila

*~*~*  

When Love is my Cancer is an awesome story. I first started reading it and did not believe I would be able to deal with the real-life details of the abuse due to my personal experiences as a child years ago. But then as I read on trying hard to overlook the grammar errors and figuring out her writing habits I was able to get into the story more. It literally drew me in rather quickly wanting to know how Phoebe was able to cope with her past and how easily she was drawn to the dr. This book has a lot of potential with a good editing and lengthening some of the areas to include a little more detail I think this could be a masterpiece. I read 4 chapters so far and will finish it as I have more time but it is a page-turner. 

– Nikki

*~*~*  

I've read the first nine chapters, and I think I will finish it eventually.

1. The book is about a young woman who had to suffer sexual abuse by her biological father and how she copes with it ten years later.

2. Yes, it did, and even a little more. Good twists and turns.

3. The plot is good, but I still had to force myself to read a little, but only because of grammar and style. Sometimes it was hard for me to understand what was happening where and to whom.

4. I couldn't relate to the character, simply because I never had to endure something like that, or know anyone who did. But I still felt what she wrote. But I think they were believable, because everyone copes differently, and I think they were portrayed well.

5. The pacing was quite alternating I think. Something it would go very slow, and then it was so fast that I couldn't keep up.

6. There definitely wasn't a lack of emotions! At the beginning I did think though, that things evolved pretty quickly between Phoebe and Nathan.

7. What I liked was definitely the way the emotions came across. That was really good! Only the grammar and lack of paragraphs is a big issue because it slowed down my reading.

8. I will finish the book because I want to know what happens. 

– Lily 

*~*~*  

I've read seven chapters of this book.

From what I understood from those chapters, it's about a young woman who suffered from sexual abuse at a young age and is learning to overcome the emotional scars ten years later. I love the concept of being a survivor and learning to live your life after the abuse, but what I didn't like was the details about the abuse. I felt that the book could've done without the details, only the bare minimum was needed to paint a picture of a tortured soul. To be honest, it was hard to read past the first chapter, but I really wanted to see how she was doing after being freed from that hellhole. I found that she's learning to look past those events and be happy, but I feel that she's doing it with the wrong person.

I kind of feel like she had attached herself to the first man who is somewhat sweet to her and she had allowed him to touch her. With the thoughts of her past still in her mind, I doubt that she should've accepted his physical touch so soon. It honestly feels like they've only known each other for one day and BAM, they're in a relationship. It's somewhat confusing their relationship and her still trying to find herself. I don't feel like she's ready and not with someone like Nathan, who by the way is giving off negative vibes.

Add in the grammar mistakes, repeated paragraphs and not enough balance between descriptions and dialogue, I feel that the story can be hard to read for most people. You have likable characters, a topic that should be written about and showing the world, that suffering can be overcome. The story just needs work to show what a gem it can be. Some reshaping, cutting, polishing, and you'll end up with a masterpiece.

– V

~*~*~