CHAPTER 5

"Hey, let's take a picture together in front of The Federal Palace of Switzerland!"

"Sounds great! I'm in!"

"1....2....3....EVERYBODY SAY CHEESEE!!!"

October 12th, 2018

03:38 AM

Hello, Jan!

My name is Sheila. Warm greetings from Indonesia. I've been looking for a pen pal from the other part of the world and thankfully I've finally found someone to talk to. I would like to know about your experiences and discuss perspectives on society. I know this sounds more sophisticated than it actually is......your favorite aspect about living where you live?

Questions you've had always had about other places? Your most favorite dishes? Those are some  of the questions I've always wanted to ask someone who lives in a different side of the world and I would love to chat about these things. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope to hear from you soon, Jan.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sheila

RESPONSE:

October 15th, 2018

12:19 PM

Hi, Sheila!

I was happy to get a letter from Indonesia, many thanks! It's really cool to receive a message from the other side of the planet!

It was very sad to see the news from Indonesia the last few days and weeks. Those pictures reminded  me of how great it is to be allowed to have a life in normality. Did this natural disaster also have an direct or indirect impact on your life?

I find your questions interesting so here are some thoughts:

- It sounds a bit strange but something I really like about my country (Switzerland) is the mentality of the people. Visitors from abroad often say that the Swiss people are a bit unfriendly, uptight and humorless. I can understand these views, but I don't think these statements are entirely true. I like that the people are rather calm, tolerant and maybe a bit introverted. Furthermore, I like that the public structures function very well (good school-system, public transport, and safety). Of course not everything is perfect, for example the costs of living are very high.

- I enjoy Asian food very much but I think I've never had a specialty from Indonesia...

Is there anything  you can recommend to me? :D

So, questions I have about other places mostly  concern people's life. I would love to hear what your daily life looks like and what you like or dislike about living in Indonesia.

Cheers!

Jan

The Federal Palace of Switzerland, the building was designed by the architect named Hans Auer and its inauguration took place on 1 April 1902. The total cost, at the time, was 7.198,000 Swiss Francs.

The two chambers where the National Council and the Council of States meet are separated by the Hall of the Dome. The Dome itself has an external height of 64 m. and an internal height of 33 m. The mosaic in the center represents the Federal coats of arms along with the Latin motto Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno (One for all, and all for one), surrounded by the coat of arms of the 22 cantons that existed in 1902. The coat of arms of the Canton of Jura, created in 1979, was placed outside of the mosaic.

The name in German means "house of federation" or "house of  the  alliance".

**Phew, finally, a longer chapter!**