CHAPTER 7

"Aahhh...Niagara, nature's majestic triumph!"

"Yeah...God's glorious gift to humanity! Incredible!"

"This is gonna be our first time to ever walked across Niagara Falls, but there is an exciting and sometimes tainted history of men and women who have challenged Niagara over the years!"

"Really?? Oh..tell me about it...."

October 15th, 2018

07:24 AM

Hello!

My name is Sheila. Warm greetings from Indonesia. I've been looking for a pen pal from the other part of the world and thankfully I've finally found someone to talk to. I would like to know about your experiences and discuss perspectives on society. I know this sounds more sophisticated than it actually is......your favorite aspect about living where you live?

Questions you've had always had about other places? Your most favorite dishes? Those are some of the questions I've always wanted to ask someone who lives in a different side of the world and I would love to chat about these things. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sheila

RESPONSE:

October 17th, 2018

04:45 AM

Hi, Sheila!

My name is Moustapha from Canada. It is a great pleasure to get a letter from the side of the world. I also enjoy talking to people about that sort of stuff. My favorite aspect of Canada? Well, the people are very nice, friendly, rich of hospitality, and I do love it when it snows. Winter in Canada is sure awasome!

What's Indonesia like? I do eat a lot of cultural dishes, such as Indian food, Chinese food, Greek food and Italian food! I love it all, they tasted delicious! Do you have any dishes specialty from Indonesia? What about you? What's your favourite Indonesian dishes and cultural dishes?

Have a good one!

-Moustapha-

Did you know?

Over 28 million people visit Niagara's waterfalls each year. Since 1825, the world's leading statesmen, monarchs, authors, painters, scientists, politicians, celebrities, business leaders and people from all walks, colors and languages have journeyed to stand in awe of the majestic falls and hear them roar their song of glory.

The Niagara River and Niagara Falls have been known outside of North America since the late 17th century, when , a French priest, at the request of King Louis XIV, accompanied the explorer La Salle, and first witnessed them in 1679. He wrote about his travels in (1688). While his painting of the Falls contained some exaggerations and distortions, it was widely circulated in Europe and became the icon of the "New World".

Just how long is the Niagara River?

About 26 miles as the crow flies from Lake to Lake, but then who flies like a crow? The river travels a course 35 miles long, going around Grand Island. The thundering falls divides it into two separate and characteristically different rivers—the Upper Niagara and the Lower Niagara. The Upper Niagara slowly chews its way south towards Lake Erie. The Falls have moved approximately 8 miles across the Niagara Escarpment, leaving a deep gorge in its wake for the Lower Niagara to funnel the water to Lake Ontario.

The Niagara Rapids are the largest series of standing waves in North America. Traveling at rates upwards of 35 miles per hour, portions are 'Class 6+' rapids – impossible to traverse – deadly.

Two sets of rapids are encountered – the Whirlpool and the Devil's Hole rapids. Once past them, the river widens and deepens, becoming serene as it steadily flows into Lake Ontario.