Chapter 1: The Birthday Promise

It was still an hour before the alarm was set to go off.

It didn't matter. Lola Loud woke up in a rush of excitement as if she sensed the sun breaking over the horizon.

"Lola?"

From across her room Lola heard the voice of her twin sister. Even though Lola was wearing a sleeping blind she could still tell before she was even asked, "The sun's up, isn't it?"

"Yep." Replied Lana

Lola ripped off her sleeping blind and the twins threw off the covers and jumped out of bed like a couple of bouncy balls.

"It's here!" cried Lana

"It's time!" cried Lola

"Happy birthday!" they shouted at each other before squealing with glee.

...

From his own room, Lincoln Loud jumped out of bed with a start. The walls were paper thin and with all the screaming he thought someone had been stabbed. As he caught his breath he heard the twins chanting, "Birthday! Birthday! Birthday!-"

"Oh, right. It's the twin's birthday." He grumbled "Guess I might as well set up the decorations."

...

In the room across from the twins, Lisa Loud pressed a button and a soundproof dome covered the cradle of baby Lily, Protecting her ears so that she didn't start crying from all the noise.

"A full ten minutes earlier than last year. It appears that my research on my elder siblings sleeping habits will need to be updated." Lisa remarked without emotion.

...

Unable to contain their excitement the twins dashed out of their room and began sharing the birthday joy with everybody. Lana ran into Lynn and Lucy's room and began bouncing on Lynn's bed as she slept in it.

"Hey Lynn! Come on you lazy butt! My friends are coming over to play capture the flag and I want you in tip top shape."

Lynn groaned under the covers. "Lanaaaaaaa, Stop please..."

Lana stopped mid bounce. Lynn said please? That can't be good. Lana's joy turned to alarm.

"Lynn? What's wrong?"

"I don't feel so good Lana. I think I've got the flu or something."

"No! You can't be sick on my birthday. You're the undefeated champ of the birthday games. Crazy Rick is coming over and he wants to take your title!"

Lynn shuddered under the covers and rolled over. "I'm sorry Lana." She coughed.

Lana slumped. This was a crushing blow. Now who was going to-?

"But Crazy Rick's going home empty HANDED!" Lynn yelled as she grabbed her little sister and stuffed her head under the covers.

"Agh! You big liar! I outta-"

A massive explosion erupted beneath the bedsheets. "There's your birthday Dutch Lana!"

Lana began thrashing and gasping for air as Lynn laughed at her pain.

"I've been holding that one in since dinner last night." She boasted. "Don't worry; I've got some left for Lola."

Meanwhile, neither one noticed Lucy rise from her coffin bed and depart the room before the smell could reach her nostrils.

...

Luna and Luan Loud sleep in the only bunk beds in the house. So when Lola barged in with a trumpet and blew into it with all her might, Luan Loud jolted up, bashed her head on the top bunk and toppled to the floor a lifeless wreck.