Betrayal

Selina pov

I hopped through the manor window, whip swinging at my side, uninvited but welcomed as usual. I strutted straight over to the study couch, and flopped down onto it, stretching out across the ornate piece of furniture before glancing over to a small package resting beside me on the coffee table.

I gazed at it, debating whether to tear away its paper or leave it alone. I sat up, reaching over and grabbing the little thing, turning it in my hand. I already knew the outcome. Sighing, I ripped off the brown paper with a clawed glove. Once complete, I tossed the paper aside and opened up the little black box that it previously concealed. Inside, I found a small piece of card written in Bruce's easily recognisable handwriting: some fancy rich kid calligraphy.

'I knew you wouldn't be able to resist~ B'

I smiled sweetly at his mocking of my curiosity and blatant disregard for privacy.

I took the note out and slipped it into my suit pocket, keeping it safe to... um... burn. Ya, burn.

When I turned my attention back to the box, my eyes widened and glistened with humour.

Inside, lay a small silver remote similar to the one Bruce had used to open the fireplace, however this one had a small paw print etched on it in place of the initials on his. I smiled, greatly amused, before removing it from the box and turning it in my hand. On the back, I found a hand carved message scrawled across the metal in uneven indents.

'For those too curious to mind their own business.'

I couldn't suppress my laugh of pure glee at this tiny, insignificant little message that I knew would echo in the back of my mind for days to come.

I stood, face alight and a bright smile pinned to my lips, before directing the remote at the fireplace and clicking it's only button. The whole structure vibrated before downing open, allowing me entrance to the previously private nest.

Bruce pov

When I heard the shaking and scraping of rock from the far side of the cave, I knew Cat had found my Easter egg. I knew she wouldn't have been able to resist; she just can't help herself. I smiled at the image of her tearing away the paper chuckling at my surrender of privacy.

On the other hand, I still couldn't believe I had given a known criminal access to my secret 'base', but I suppose she knew about it anyway, and how long would it have been until she found her own special entrance?

When she emerged from the darkness of the rock, I saw her smile drop and turn into a grimace when she saw me.

"Something wrong." I smiled, leaning back in my chair and away from the monitors.

She cocked an every brow at me before smiling back weakly.

"You look like a 6 year old who's decided to go as a mummy for Halloween." She joked, halfheartedly.

I glanced down at my appearance: draped in bandages and stitches from head to toe and sighed.

"Bruised but not broken." I laughed, although I had to admit I was feeling a little worse for wear.

She cocked a disbelieving eyebrow at me, before strutting over and hopping up to sit on the table beside me.

"Anything new?" She Asked, swiftly changing the subject.

"Actually, yes." I said, carefully analysing the shocked look that flashed across her face, before she quickly composed herself and smiled at me.

"What you got?" She questioned, trying to force curiosity; not usually something that she found difficult.