The final straw

Bruce pov

I blinked furiously, trying to believe what I was seeing. I hadn't seen her for so long. Hadn't heard her voice. Hadn't gazed upon her mesmerising smirk which lay plastered to her lips.

Last time she came, the moment was too quick for me to truly see her.

To see her wild curls, her intense green eyes, her her sharp features and her dazzling ora. She sat in place so casually, like she belonged. From the way she acted so at home, I almost forgot she had ever left at all.

She wore all black, boots and leather jacket matched with zips and studs on some areas of her clothing. Her figure had changed too. I could tell that she strutted more authority now, her body radiating confidence and maturity.

In short: she had changed. Grown up. And in that moment, I realised why I had missed her so. Why I had spent all this time looking. The way her eyes baited me in, lost in memory and regret, I knew then and there that she was okay. And she was here now....

And I had a LOT of explaining to do.

~

Selina pov

I watched him as he looked me over, absorbing the sight of me, the memories drifting back. A smirk stretched across my face as his gaze fixed on mine, and his mouth twitched as though to speak, but sealed again as he rethought his options.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" I chimed, my silky voice echoing through the study. I watched him with great satisfaction as he shivered as the vibrations reached him, but he remained quiet.

"Well I thought this was going to be more fun. Oh well." I teased, hopping up from my seat and striding over to the window.

"Things to do places to be or whatever." I shrugged as I reached for the curtains.

"Selina wait!" Called a strangled voice from behind me, and I turned to see his expression pleading and desperate.

"Oh so you do remember me!" I gasped sarcastically, walking over and plopping down onto my preferred seat on the sofa.

He stood in place, watching my every move. I leant forwards, gently tracing my finger over the gash that I had created in his table, before snapping my head up and motioning for him to sit.

He nodded before taking a seat on the sofa across from me.

"How's the world been treating ya?" I asked casually, seeing his uncomfortable demeanour.

"Selina I..." he began, but I held up my hand.

"You're sorry for everything, you didn't mean to loose me, you really do care and wanted to find me; and you hope I'm okay after everything that happened yada yada..." I shrugged, "was there anything else?"

He swallowed hard, his hands shuffling nervously in his lap.

"Well, yes..." he whispered, seemingly unsure of himself:

"I'm listening." I stated blankly

"Everything you said... is right. Exactly right. But I want you to hear it from me. To understand that this isn't just another argument to me. I want you to let me tell you how much I care about you and how sorry I am." He muttered, his eyes locking with mine.

"We're all out of lifelines, sorry." I hissed coldly, but when his breath hitched and his eyes widened in despair, my mind whirled.

I'd promised myself that nothing he said would change my opinion of him. But hearing his voice, sitting in his house again, reliving our past; I couldn't help but nod for him to continue, my resolve crumbling under his intense stare.

"Selina. I... I know how wrong it was for me to leave you. I know. I have regretted it every single day since you left. I thought that by leaving you with Alfred I was doing the right thing. That somehow, you would get better. That you would come back to Gotham and I could welcome you with open arms." I scoffed at his statement and he cringed but continued: " but I realise now how blind I was. I thought that I could have both you and Gotham. I thought that perhaps things could go back to a time when life was different... easier. But I think we have both grown beyond that. When I heard that you went missing, all I wanted was to know you were okay. I hoped that maybe whatever had happened was a way for you to recover... and to find your way back to me. But I see that everything I did...wasn't what you needed from me. You needsd me there. But I wasn't. I abandoned you and I hate myself for it."

A stray tear fell from his eye, matching the ones collecting in my mine.

"When you came back, I was desperate to find you. To see you again. To know you were okay. I hoped you were back... for me. I was selfish and I didn't mean to drive you away again. But I did try. I tried to find you... tried to reach you. But you were always out of my reach Selina. Always."

He rasped, his voice scratchy from the tears in his eyes.

"I'm so so sorry. I care for you. I do. Please. Please let me show you." He finished, tears pouring freely now as our grazes met. I felt capsules of my own escape my eyes and wander down my cheeks.

I wiped them away swiftly, snapping my head to face the window, not wanting him to know he was getting to me.

" what makes you think I want you back." I hissed.

"Well you're here aren't you." He whispered

I sprang from my seat, ready to run from my emotions.

"Don't read too much into it, B." I spat, venom dripping from his childhood nickname.

I stormed over to he window, but before I reached it, a hand curled around my wrist, before sharply pulling me back.

I was about to cry out for him to release me, but my mouth was obscured as his lips pressed against mine softly.

My eyes found themselves closed as I moulded my lips with his, drawing him in as our kiss became more passionate, fuelled by our heartache and desire. I couldn't deny it any longer. Neither could he. This was something. Our anger, our fire, our stubbornness. As much as we repelled one another, we always found our way back. I cared for this boy. He cared for me. And it was finally time for it to be okay.

His hands found my waist as mine wound into his hair, and we pulled in closer, tasting our lust and care for one another on our lips. I felt our differences melt away, and I knew, he meant everything he said. Things had changed. We had changed. Maybe now was the right time to give the future a try. Maybe now was...

Just as my began heart flutter, it hardened back into its inky blackness.

Here he was, Bruce, play body billionaire, kissing me. Nothing wrong with that, right? Well no, unless you recall the moment we shared this intimacy three weeks back.

He didn't know I was Cat.

He thought he could get both of the things he wanted.

Just like before, he thought he could have everything.

As our lips remained locked, he slipped something into my hand, but before I could question it, I sharply shoved him back away from me, a snarl ripping from my chest at his disgusting behaviour. He thought he could have both. He thought he could whisper sweet nothings to both and have it all. He was willing to go behind my back... again... TWICE!

Not this time Bruce.

And so, the final straw fell from between my fingers.