21 days

Bruce pov

It had been three weeks since I dived into the inky depths of Gotham's harbour. Three weeks since I had felt the cold rush against my skin; the stabbing; the numbleness. 21 days since I had searched the waters to no avail, finding no sign of the masked feline. I had given up after four hours of searching,my hopes of finding her shrinking. My hope diminished further with each passing day. Everyday, I waited in the Batcave. No sign of her.

Every night, I visited her chapel hideout.

Empty.

Over and over, I replayed all the camera feeds.

Nothing.

I was baffled at how I lost everyone I had. How those I cared about slipped through my fingers like water.

It's too easy to loose grip of someone, no matter how tight you hold on.

And it hurt.

And I missed her stupid teasing and her intolerable complaining and her hushed comments...

I just missed her.

I sat at my desk, head in my hands, shaking from my lack of sleep. I dug my fingers into my scalp, before heaving a sigh and standing to go and grab a glass of whiskey. I needed something to sate my sanity.

As I transferred the liquid from the decanter into a glass I heard the familiar sound of a clicking lock. Specifically, a window lock. I remained, frozen in place, unsure of reality. Was my mind playing tricks on me? I remained still for a moment longer, before whipping around to come face to face with my curtains swaying in the breeze from my now open window.

My gaze clicked to her signature spot on the sofas, my heart stopping when I realised that there was nobody there.

I blinked furiously, trying to fabricate an image of a suited figure sat in my study. But when I was met with nothing, I swallowed the bitter pill of disappointment.

"Cat?" I tried, my voice barely above a whisper, praying that the phantom would appear before me.

Silence blanketed the room, and my shoulders dropped at the still blackness.

"Guess again." Muttered a voice from behind me.

I snapped my head around, stumbling a little at the sheer speed of my action. My reaction was definitely appropriate.

As before me, stood a ghost of my past.

A ghost who's shadow haunted me. Who's memory brought me sleepless nights and restless days.

The very ghost I had been tracing for far too long.

The ghost smirked at me, it's curls swaying slightly as it cocked it's head.

There at my desk, feet up and arms crossed sat another regret. Perhaps my biggest.

There, at my desk, sat Selina.

~

A/N

I apologise for the short chapter. This one is a build up for what's to come. Get excited! It's gonna be big!

Hope you're enjoying the story so far, and hope you stick around for the end.

Anyways, I'll leave you to it! Happy reading,

BlazeOfPhoenix