Biggest regrets.

Selina pov

I had no clue where my feet would take me as I wondered through the cold, sodden streets of Gotham city, the inky blackness serving no cover from the torment that my memories surrounded me with.

I inhaled deeply, feeling the bitter air sting my lungs, relishing the feeling of something else besides the ache in my heart.

What was I supposed to do now? Leave Gotham entirely? Leave behind this somewhat functional life I've built? Walk until I dropped, never looking back?

Honestly, I didn't fancy any of those options.

I wasn't going to let some untrustworthy fool drive me out of my home. Not again.

I continued to walk, unintentionally ending up back at the bar where we had bumped into Barbara. I hadn't realised until then how much of this city was corrupt with memories of my time with the Bat, and how inescapable his mark was. Guess I would just have to enjoy the pain.

Keeping my eyes down, I entered the bar, thankful to escape the dampness of the streets.

The interior was mostly empty, apart from a few lonely figures dotted around, all huddled out of the rain.

I strode over to the bar, taking a seat on one of the stools and whistling to gain the attention of the bar tender. The middle aged woman gave me an odd look when I requested vodka and milk, but served me nonetheless, nodding gratefully when I instructed her to keep the change.

I sat alone, in silence, drowning my sorrows in alcohol as Barbara had only a few nights prior, wondering what I was going to do next. Luckily, the answer found me.

"Dearest Kitty Cat!" Smiled a voice emitted by a figure who strutted up beside me, leaning on the bar.

"Barbara." I nodded in greeting, not needing to look up to know it was her.

"Where's your number 2?" She questioned, referring to my previous association with the Bat.

"Our contract was terminated." I hissed, taking another shot of my odd beverage combination.

Barbara scoffed and took a seat beside me, ordering two gin and tonics.

"Well I'm glad to hear it." She stated, sliding one of the drinks over to me as soon as the barista had finished preparing them.

I looked up at her, unsure of what she wanted.

She smiled back darkly, before her grin faded to one of genuine happiness and she leant forward to embrace me.

My eyes widened in shock, patting her awkwardly on the back, unsure of what to do.

"Love the suit." She whispered, pulling back from our hug.

I pulled a face of utter confusion at her and she laughed in reply.

"I know it's you Selina." She smirked, raising her glass a little to me before taking a sip.

I've got to say, I wasn't really surprised she knew. She was always the smart one; always the one to figure these things out.

"How long have you known?" I asked, somehow relieved to have somebody who I could actually talk to. Just like old times.

"Since the warehouse. When my girls tied you up, I couldn't help but sneak a peak under your masks." She grinned, consuming more alcohol.

"And the Bat.." i questioned, still somehow, stupidly, concerned for his safety.

"You mean Wayne? Haven't got a clue." She teased, smirking into her glass.

I chuckled softly too. I thought I was the curious one.

"As much as I'd love to keep it as blackmail against the both of you, I have a feeling that that would be a sour move." She reassured me, in her own, sassy way.

"I don't remember you ever playing fair?" I grinned in reply.

"And I don't remember you ever going on a drinking spree. What has he done now?" She questioned, her tone turning more caring and kind.

My eyes widened at her deduction, but I quickly accepted that she probably knew most things about most people, so I sighed and elaborated a little on my dilemma.

"That son of a..." She spat, slamming her fist down onto the table. "Even after all this time he can't care for you."

"It is what it is." I shrugged, downing the rest of the glass.

"No. We are getting you out of this slump. Come on, I have a task for you little Kitten." She jeered, standing from her seat and slamming money down onto the bar, before strutting out of the pub, her heels making clattering sounds all the way.

I exhailed loudly, smirking to myself at her attempt at comfort being a crime spree. Deciding that the only other thing I had to do was sit and reminisce about the past, I stood from the bar and followed her out and to a car waiting on the road.

The plan was pretty simple. Gordon had raided their club a few days ago, confiscating many of their weapons and toys. All I had to do was get in, find where they were, get them, get out. Piece of cake.

We pulled up outside of the GCPD and I hopped out of Barbaras fancy car that stood as the only rival to Bruce's ride.

Nodding to Barbara through the side window, I sprinted along to the side of the building, looking up and along the walls until I located a suitable entry point: an air shaft near the top of the immense structure.

I grinned darkly at the challenge, before embedding my razor sharp claws into the aged brick, and scaling up a few feet to a fire escape, before hopping up each level of it.

I reached the shaft without issue, unhinging it using my lock pick and crawling inside. I shuffled through the air duct, peeping through the grates ever so often to navigate my way to the evidence lock up.

Smiling to myself at the ease of this mission, I undid the vent before leaping down to the ground silently. I kept low, following the alphabetical layout of the room to locate the sirens sector, before tugging a large brown box off of the middle shelf. Upon removal of the lid, my eyebrows became knit with confusion. It was full of handcuffs?

"Pick any pair." Growled a voice from behind me.

Wonderful.

I turned sharply, my eyes meeting those of Jim Gordon, gun raised, pointing right at me.

I slowly raised my hands in surrender, smiling innocently.

"Jim... fancy seeing you here." I purred, not fighting against him as he cuffed me and lead me to holding.

Bruce pov

After a sleepless night of tossing and turning, tormented by the memories of a girl in a cat suit, I dragged myself down to my daily shift at the GCPD. I blocked out most of what was happening, my mind numb and cold with the sting of regret. Choosing to pretend that nothing was wrong, I entranced myself in my work, saving the grief and self loathing for the evening when I would try to hunt down Cat and reconcile our messed up relationship.

But my self control was short lived, as upon entry to the interview viewing room, my heart dropped.

There, sat with her feet casually up on the table and signature smirk plastered on her feline face, was the death of me.

Even concealed By this shield of one way glass, the phantom before me tore at my already deteriorating sanity.

Right before me sat one of my biggest weaknesses.

Right before me sat one of my biggest mistakes.

Right before me sat one of my biggest regrets.

Catwoman.