SURPRISE, BIT-

(this is crack, if I'm being honest)

Keith screamed.

This was what the others expected.

What Keith did not expect was the others.

He had merely shuffled out of his bedroom and down the hall having just woke up, like any other day. Because it was.

Unless you add the fact that his kitchen did not usually have rainbow streamers, a homemade breakfast and people in it, and this particular morning it did.

"SURPRISE, BIT-..!!" The sentence was muffled by a hand. The unfinished word was likely to start with a "B" and end with "Itch", but you know, it didn't.

It was a strange looking scene for now, but it would change. Currently, Pidge had Shiro's hand clamped over her mouth, and was making enraged, muffled probably curse word noises. Adam was there too, leaning on a counter, gazing affectionately at the whole group, including Keith. Allura and Romelle squished together near the fridge to make room for the massive, hand painted banner, held by Coran, Hunk, and of course, Lance. It read "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KEITH!!1!" Matt could barely be seen in the very back, stealing swipes of leftover frosting on his finger.

"Oh, oh, my god, Jesus." Keith sighed. "You guys scared me."

"Oh, no need to fret, dear princess. Your knight in a shining hoodie has come to soothe your fears." Lance stepped away from the mass of people and dropped his edge of the banner, so now it said "HAPPY BIRT"

"Oh, however will I thank thee?" The birthday boy rolled his eyes, thoroughly roused from his morning haze.

"Hmm," Lance pondered. "the knight will have to think."

Meanwhile, Keith had moved on.

"Is this all for me?" He asked.

"Of course it is, Keith! It's your birthday, so you get the special treatment from your friends!" Hunk smiled.

"So, um, thank you so much, guys, wow." The table was set for a king, with pancakes piled high, fresh fruit in a bowl, sparkling enticingly. The maple syrup looked almost like gold with the way the sun shined through it.

"So, did y'all just, you know, sneak into my house at the crack of dawn while I was asleep and do all this?" Keith questioned.

"No, we didn't, Keith." Shiro was now wiping his palm on his pants, which left Pidge's ability to speak to be regained.

"I mean, that's what I voted we do, but no, we have to respect Keith's privacy, and breaking and entering is rude. Nah nah nah nyeh." She mocked.

"We prepared everything at Hunk's home, and then carefully transported it here!" Allura's sparkly lipgloss glittered as she spoke.

"And we used Shiro's key to get in, so we didn't have to break the door, or go through a window!" Romelle added helpfully.

"So, birthday boy, begin your feast!" Coran pushed Keith towards the chair at the table.

It was a pleasant experience, everyone cramming together around Keith's tiny table. He ate the delicious dish prepared for him, as the others picked at leftover pancakes or snatched fruit from Keith's plate. Although, it was mostly Lance who did that. He was pressed right against Keith's side, and he could feel whenever Lance laughed or moved next to him.

The two had recently started a little "thing". They weren't an exclusive item, official, going out. No, not yet, just testing the waters. But there was definitely something there. Just not very visible. To them. Everyone else knew.