big uwu energy

I'm sorry for not updating for like a month I've just been really really flat out tired with school and multiple plays and other activities to do

To say that Lance's house was very... different than whatever Keith expected was an understatement.

Sure, he knew Lance had a big family, but... wow.

The two had been dating for some time now, and Keith had met most of his boyfriends closest relations, like his parents, siblings, grandparents and a sprinkle of nieces and nephews. And that seemed like more than one person could possibly handle having in their family to Keith already.

But after all of the war affairs had calmed down, McClains', Sanchezs', and a couple other names flooded in, all somehow being related to Lance in some way. For every person Keith learned the name of eight more seemed to appear. Cousins, aunts and uncles, second cousins, family friends, more cousins. All of these people of course, included children. Some teenagers, a few handfuls of younger kids and loads of babies and toddlers.

Keith may have been not great with his peers, but he wanted so badly to be good with kids.

Though he had absolutely no idea how to do that.

The younger ones would run around playing games with each other, paying no mind to Keith, and the teens wanted nothing to do with him. The little babies were usually held in some relative's arms.

Most of the time that he spent with Lance and his family, he maybe chatted with some of the McClain siblings or Lance's parents. Other times he would trail behind his boyfriend, not exactly knowing what to do. Especially in the times when the younger children would run up to them, with toothy grins ahead demand stories of the gallant ex-paladins.

Lance, being the charmer he is, would sweep them up in his arms and tell the most exciting tales, making it seem like they were back in space again.  Keith would occasionally interject, but the ready of the time, he would stand back with a soft smile to observe.

Once, though, the couple sat as comfortably as they could on the tiny loveseat together, discussing plans for their next date.

And by now, you could imagine the moment a little boy, probably no more than three, clambered onto the cushions as well, and eventually Keith's lap.

His eyes widened larger than saucers as the child made himself comfortable despite the fact that the two had never interacted even once before. He looked frantically to Lance, not knowing at all what to do, sputtering quietly.

The boy looked up, eyes wide with interest.

"You have hair like my cat. She's really fluffy. And black. We named her Soot, 'cause my sis'er says the little black dots with eyeballs in the Tot- totor- totoro movie are called soot sprites."

Keith struggled to come up with a response to that.

"Oh..! I, I like that movie. I uh, bet your cat is really fluffy then."

Lance struggles to hold in giggles and snickers, much to his boyfriend's offense.

"Yeah! She bited me once though. Mama says it was 'cause I pulled her tail."

And so the little boy rambled on, and Keith eventually kinda got the swing of things.  At some point during all of this, the child had nestled himself against Keith's chest and promptly fell asleep.

Keith sat completely still for the next hour and a half, only moving to keep the little boy's head from turning at an uncomfortable angle. 

He and Lance murmured quietly to each other in the warm atmosphere of the living room while overlapping chatter filled the silence.