6 | Missing in Action

Ethan's POV

Ethan's POV

I SLOWLY MANAGED TO OPEN MY EYES. As soon as I did, however, my entire body started to ache horribly, making me groan in the pain that just dawned on me. The poison in my body didn't help either, all it did was double the pain.

At least I knew what caused the pain (aside from the poison). An explosion. Everything was a setup. The organ— The Underworld knew we were coming. They immediately evacuated from the base to lure us here and to try and kill us with a bomb they had planted somewhere inside. That was all I could theorise.

I heard Benji groan slightly, informing me that he's awake and alive, thank god for that.

"Benji," I groaned, loud enough for my friend to hear.

Benji managed to stand up and walked towards me. At least he was able to do so. I don't think I would be able to walk for awhile.

"Ethan, you alright?" He asked.

"Do I look alright?" I joked, then suddenly a piercing pain came from my stomach, making me yelp slightly. "The poison's not helping."

"And then there's that. We need the cure, Ethan, and this explosion's not helping. Who on Earth planted the bomb anyways?" Benji ranted as he tried to help me up.

"Oh, god..." We faced the direction of Ilsa's voice to see her standing up as she massaged her head. She faced us and saw the state I was in.

"You alright?" She asked as she limped towards us. I gave a slight nod.

"I mean, it was understandable that you're in this state," We then turned around to see Brendan walking, slightly limping towards us. He also didn't look so good. Injuries and bruises forming on his face, similar to Benji. "After all, you're the closest to the factory, which was the obvious source of the bomb given that ninety-nine percent of it has been obliterated."

I smirked. "Could you believe my luck?" I asked sarcastically.

"You alright?" Brendan asked.

"Do I look alright?" I asked back.

"Nah, you look like shit," I chuckled at his reply.

"How long have we been out?" Ilsa asked. Benji looked at his watch, but it was destroyed by the explosion, so he apologised. However, Benji estimates we've been unconscious for a few good hours.

"Then why hasn't a single ambulance came?" Ilsa asked.

"Look around," I answered. "No one's working here today, which means no one saw it, hence no one called an ambulance. What a coincidence."

"Wait a minute. Where's Brandt?" Benji suddenly asked, realising his absence.

My eyes widened in realisation as Brendan told Ilsa to stay put with me while Benji and Brendan searched for Brandt.

"Look," I insisted. "I'm fine—"

"No, you're not. Like Brendan said earlier, you look like shit. So you will stay here with Ilsa while we search for Brandt. And that is all we are gonna say about that!" Benji harshly replied.

I stared at him before giving in with replying "Okay." Brendan and Benji then walked away from us to search for Brandt.

I then smiled. This triggered a flashback from around three years ago:

"I can't protect you, that's why I need you to leave," I urged.

"That's not your decision to make, Ethan!" Benji yelled. "I am a field agent, I know the risks! More than that, I am your friend, no matter what I tell the polygraph every week! Now you called me because you needed my help! And you still do! So I am staying! And that is all we are gonna say about that!"

Ilsa helped me sit on the ground and did the same, remaining quiet with nothing to talk about. I wanted to ask about the mysterious caller, but I decided not to.

At long last, after an eternity of awkward silence, though I might be exaggerating, Brendan and Benji came back. Unfortunately, they seem to have disappointed looks on their faces, and I feared the worst.

"Is he... dead?" I asked, nervous about their response.

"I don't know, we weren't able to find him," Benji answered gloomily.

I then stood up, trying my best to ignore the agonising pain and walked (more like limped) towards the destroyed factory.

"What the— Ethan! You need medical attention!" Benji called after me, but I ignored him. "What are you doing?"

"The person who planted the bomb has to be around here, or at least nearby. There's no way they've planted the bomb before we came," I explained.

"What if they did?" Brendan asked.

"It's a hunch. Have you seen me playing my hunches? They were always correct. I'm not ignoring this one," I stubbornly answered.

"Look, there's no use in finding the bomber, I promise you- I swear to you," Brendan vowed.

"How are you so sure that the bomber wouldn't be here?" I snapped as I turned around to face Brendan, who was now looking down at the ground. It was then when I realised something was going on.

"You know something about this, don't you?" I asked. Brendan still looked at the ground, not answering. "Who are you really, Brendan Foster?" I advanced towards him as he slowly looked at me in the eyes with a regretful look in his.

Before I could do anything else, Ilsa reluctantly stepped in between me and Brendan. Benji was just watching from the sidelines.

"And you're involved too. Now," I sighed before continuing in a harsher tone. "what do you know?"

Brendan and Ilsa looked at each other after Brendan reluctantly nodded, Ilsa began to spill the beans.

"You won't find the person who planted the bomb because he's missing." She admitted before my eyes widened in realisation. Ilsa then confirmed my suspicions. "Brandt planted the bomb."

<><><><><><><><>

I decided to write this chapter from Ethan's point of view, just because I think it's more fit to do so.

And I apologise for the late update! If you need a Mission: Impossible fanfic to read, there's a book by GOTHFIK called adriana - e. hunt that I really enjoy! Please check it out!

<><><><><><><><>