11 | Mission: Delayed

"WAIT!" Someone called Ethan's team as they took turns to board the jet.

Upon hearing this, the team froze in their tracks and turned around to see her. Out of everyone, Benji recognised her the most.

"Lauren?" Benji yelled since the jet's engines were deafening. Ethan, who was the first to board the jet and was in front of Benji, popped his head out the jet's door so he could see who Benji was yelling at.

After Benji walked to Lauren, Ethan asked Ilsa and Brendan who she was.

"Someone who used to be from the CIA that Benji knew. She claims that she joined the IMF with Alan," Brendan explained as they watched Benji and Lauren have a private conversation.

"What?" Benji asked, loudly to ensure Lauren hears him, surprised. "Repeat that one more time, please."

"Luther has been transferred here!" Lauren replied with the same tone Benji was using. "The hospital noticed the poison and the IMF volunteered to take care of it!"

"Holy sh..." Benji stopped himself as his eyes widened in realisation. Ethan did warn the team not to tell Luther of his condition as Luther doesn't know. "Tell me you guys didn't tell him. Please tell me you didn't."

Lauren was now confused, "About what?"

"The poison!" Benji now had a panicked expression.

That was when Lauren's eyes widened in realisation too.

* * *

Benji immediately delayed their mission and commanded the team to follow him.

"Where is he?" Benji asked. Lauren didn't reply, instead, she quietly led them to the room where Luther was resting. Lauren closed the door silently as she left.

Ethan limped into the room and sighed, "Hi Luther. How are you feeling?"

Luther didn't reply. Instead, he pointed at Brendan, who already walked in with the rest of the team after Ethan, and asked, "Who's that?"

""That" has a name and the name is Brendan," Brendan answered.

"Nice to meet you, Brendan," Luther said. "May I ask where Brandt went?"

Brendan truthfully explained Brandt's situation.

"At least someone in the team knows honesty is the best policy," Luther glared at Ethan.

"Look, Luther. I'm sorry," Ethan said. "I—I only wanted to protect you—"

"From what? The truth? Because you thought I couldn't handle it?" Luther interrupted.

"Look, I only want to know how you're feeling."

Luther gave out a long sigh and said, "It hurts."

"Yeah, I know," Ethan said. "We located the cure, but we had to see you first."

"Then get on with it. I'm dying right here," Luther joked and suddenly yelped from the pain of the poison. "I'm okay. Good luck."

The team hesitantly left the room. Ethan nodded at Luther as he left. Luther nodded back.

* * *

In the jet, Benji saw that Ethan, who was sitting opposite him, looked uneasy as Ethan massaged his stomach and his other wounds.

"Look," Benji reached out his hand to Ethan. "You and Luther are gonna be fine."

"I know, but that's not what I'm worried about," Ethan admitted.

"Then what is it?" Benji asked.

"I don't really wanna talk about it," Ethan said.

Benji nodded in understanding and leant back into his seat.

Brendan and Ilsa also had a conversation of their own.

"What if Brandt gets captured again?" Ilsa asked, worried. "Even worse: what if he gets killed?"

Brendan gave a reassuring look and answered, "He'll make it. Have faith."

"I hope you're right," Ilsa said, still showing a look of concern.

Brendan looked at Ilsa with suspicion and concluded, "You like him, don't you?"

Ilsa didn't reply. Instead, she ignored Brendan and stared at the window. In moments, she fell asleep.

"I seriously wonder how you people can sleep this easily," Brendan grumbled.

Benji heard him and said, "I know right?" As he gestured to Ethan, who seemed to have fallen asleep a few minutes ago.

"Guys, wake up!" Brendan shouted as he took out a few USBs he had received when Ethan was unconscious back at the headquarters. "We need to discuss our mission!"

Ilsa woke up a second before Ethan did. Brendan tossed the USBs over to Benji and Ethan before giving one to Ilsa.

The team then took out a pair of headphones from their seats and took out a screen monitor from inside the armrests which had a USB input.

Brendan inserted the USB after connecting his headphones via Bluetooth and listened to his mission.

<><><><><><><><>

Hey! Sorry for the late update. I couldn't wait any longer so I didn't insert the chapter header and the gif below.

How do you like the New Year so far? Anyway, stay tuned for more twists and stunts! See ya soon!

<><><><><><><><>