9 | A New Secretary

ALL BRENDAN, BENJI AND ILSA COULD DO were look at him in surprise. Ethan gave them a confused look. "C'mon," He said. "Let's go."

"Are you sure you're okay to walk? Ten minutes ago you were dead!" Brendan insisted.

"What are you talking about?" Ethan asked as he limped, following Mycroft out of the room. He then lost balance and suddenly held his hands on Mycroft's shoulders to regain it.

"Sorry," Ethan apologised after Mycroft turned around to glare at him.

Brendan, Benji and Ilsa looked at each other, but Benji soon snapped out of it, gestured then to come and walked out of the room.

"Are you not at all surprised?" Brendan asked.

"Of course I was. But I mean, he is Ethan Hunt," Benji shrugged.

Brendan and Ilsa gave each other one last look before they walked out of the room.

After catching up with Ethan and Mycroft, they reached two adjacent doors, one which led to the briefing room. Mycroft went in the left door and closed it shut. Ethan then pointed to each door, as if he was deciding which door Mycroft was in. The rest decided it was quite amusing to watch him find out. Fortunately for Ethan, he chose the right door.

After everyone took a seat and Ethan started the meeting before Mycroft could. He asked for the reason Brandt planted the bomb. All Mycroft answered was that it was more convenient for him to destroy one of their bases and try to accomplish his mission at the same time.

"Where is he?" Benji asked. Mycroft kept silent but reluctantly answered after Ethan raised an eyebrow at him.

"You will find him in Portugal," Mycroft sighed.

"What exactly is his mission?" Ethan asked as he leaned forward.

"Locate August Walker," Mycroft answered. "But if he does—"

"When he does," Ethan interrupted.

Mycroft rolled his eyes, "When he does I have the authority to order him to kill Walker—"

"Which will not happen," Ethan interrupted once more.

"And why is that? I am the secretary of the IMF—"

"Until they found a new one," Ethan interrupted again, this time he was slowly beginning to smile. Brendan, Benji and Ilsa looked at each other in confusion. "I've managed to find hidden notes in Alan's office. They're written in a cypher that my team and Alan made up together in case they were necessary. Turns out Alan had already decided on the next secretary, just in case anything bad happened to him."

"And who is it?" Brendan asked in excitement.

* * *

"I am going with you," Ethan insisted as the team packed their needed equipment and gear in the weaponry and gadgets room.

"No, you are not," Benji argued as he took a face mask making machine, similar to the one Ethan brought a few months ago to impersonate John Lark. "You're wounded."

"You're wounded too. And look at Ilsa," Ethan pushed. They both looked at Ilsa, who was grabbing a fistful of explosive chewing gum.

"Our wounds are not as serious as yours. The poison is killing you, Ethan. Being on the field just makes it worse," Benji said as he checked the machine to see if it was working or not.

"I don't care as long as we find that cure for Luther."

"And what about you? Remember, there is only one cure."

"You and Luther —when healed— can recreate a new one, couldn't you? Luther is more urgent. The poison in him is more concentrated, and we only have like a week or two left. We need to hurry and I need to come along. I have unfinished business with Lane as well."

"Me too!" Benji whined.

"Oh really?" Ilsa said. "Then please get in line."

"But Ethan, you are not going, it's too risky!" Benji urged.

"And what was that entire speech about "being a field agent and knowing the risks" about?" Ethan asked.

"Fine!" Benji grumbled, making Ethan smile as he began to grab a few guns.

* * *

Ethan proudly announced as he led the team to the where the jet was parked, "This time, instead of a helicopter, we have a jet. Also, it has an autopilot function."

Benji looked at the plane and elaborated, "Yeah, this jet is amazing. We used this seven years ago. And wait till you see the car." Ilsa raised an eyebrow and Brendan gave a look of amusement.

"Cool," Brendan said as they boarded the plane. "Let's ride."

<><><><><><><><>

Hi guys!

Who do you think was chosen to be the new Secretary? In my opinion, it's obvious. If you don't think the same then it's probably because I know the answer.

Anyways, I've decided to make a prequel of this! It showcases William Brandt as the main character because it explains his activities during Mission: Impossible - Fallout. Ethan might not actually appear there. Apologies to Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt fans.

<><><><><><><><>