Chapter 1

"Maaaann, that's why yo ass still a virgin!" Kiara tutted, looking me up and down. I was dressed in black and white basketball shorts and a matching black cropped top. I pursed my lips and rolled my eyes.

Allie was laying on her stomach on Kiara's bed. Her legs were swinging in the air behind her and she cocked her head. "Come on Kiara, let's be lenient. She's sporting a cropped look! That's a first."

I blew a bubble with my gum and popped it sassily in Kiara's face. "See! Allie gets it!"

Allie rolled over to her back letting her head now hang over the bed looking at Kiara and I upside down. "The shorts are still whack as fuck doe," she snorted.

"Exactly! Girl you don't even know how to play basketball!" Kiara jeered playfully.

"I know how to play! I just ain't good at it."

Allie jumped up from the bed and squeezed between Kiara and I. She held us both by the shoulders. "No more nonsense, lets go!"

We bumbled down the stairs and stepped outside while Kiara locked the door behind her. It was the early days of fall. The trees have already started changing into fluorescent oranges, reds and yellows and the air felt fresh and so much lighter than how it felt on those many humid summer days.

Kiara caught up to Allie and I as we walked down the neighborhood street. We walked with ease because we were all familar with the street. Especially Kiara and I for we lived here since we were born. Allie on the other hand had always lived in the nicer areas of Detroit but she came over often enough to memorize our streets like the back of her hand.

After a few minutes of walking, our arms hugging ourselves to keep warm, we heard some music and saw a gathering of people. It was a small block party for my neighborhood. The thing is Kiara and I weren't close with our neighbors but we recognized most of them. Kiara stopped in her tracks and scanned all the people. There was a half circle shape forming in front of two guys having a rap battle. I looked at Kiara and saw her eyes meet the two guys. I could almost see the hearts bloom in her eyes.

One of the guys in the rap battle was Kiara's ultimate crush; Darius Davis.

Allie grabbed Kiara's arm and tugged her along. "We ain't messing with none of these folk." Allie scoffed.

Allie seemed to think everyone in our neighborhood was no good sometimes. I honestly don't think she ever means harm. Just a different upbringing.

Kiara sighed and shook her head looking down to the pavement. "I shouldn't get my fuckin' hopes up. No way in hell he likes fat chicks like me."

"Kiara, if he ain't into you based of your looks, you don't want him anyways." I told her matter-of-factly.

"And shiitt, you can find any fine ass man you want at this party tonight. Fuck that fifty dollar guy." Allie said.

Kiara cackled. "I think it's 50 cent, but go off."

-

We weren't technically invited to the party but if you live under a 20 minute walk from a party, you're welcome to join. It was like an unspoken rule.

Even though it was just fifteen minutes away, there was a big difference in how the area looked. The sidewalks were recently done and the homes looked rather new.

There were hundreds of people all on the street laughing loudly or jumping around like fools. We gave dap to people we didn't even know as we made way through the crowd. That's just how it was around here.

Not even five minutes in, a guy approached Allie. No matter where we went, guys were always all over Allie. She was a gorgeous girl I must admit. She always had on a nice outfit and beautiful braids in her hair. Right now she had fulani braids with earthy toned beads at the ends.

"Damn baby girl, you looking fine as hell," he said looking her up and down as Kiara and I stood aside awkwardly.

"Thanks," Allie said dryly. She grabbed a pen from her purse and wrote a number on the palm of his hand. He sucked his teeth and nodded.

We walked away together in another direction to where the drinks were.

"Fake number," Allie whispered to us with laughter behind her voice.

"What? Why? He was cute!" I emphasized with shocked eyes.

"I ain't messing with no chapped lipped bum. Y'all seen him licking his crusty lips like a fool!"

I rolled my eyes and grabbed some shots for the girls and one for myself. We had this corny thing where we linked our arms every time we downed shots.

A couple linked arms later, I already began to feel tipsy. The music playing began to sound better, my dance moves flowed easier and I started up conversations with people I didn't even know.

Kiara and Allie were further up the road talking with a group of three buff guys. I watched from a distance and saw Kiara flirt with a guy dressed in all black down to the durag. She caressed his bicep and Allie was talking but I couldn't make out what she was saying.

Then I felt a hand slide onto my lower back. I quickly spun around to face a guy with messy dreads and sunken in eyes.

"What up," he asked me lazily. His hand went further down and I flicked his hand off. I stormed over to Kiara and Allie. The buzz of content has worn off because I now felt aggravated and anxious.

"Girls, can we head back?" I pleaded, interrupting their steamy exchanges with the men.

Allie's eyebrows furrowed together and she opened her mouth about to say something when the music shut off and a loud ping sound replaced the once playing hip hop music.

"Yo yo yooooo!!" A voice hollered enthusiastically. Everyone spun towards to voice to see this guy standing up on a green transformer electrical box.

He was dressed in a oversized white t-shirt and black track pants. His face was sweatin and I wondered how he wasn't freezing cold like the rest of us.

"Ah it's this mother fucker, m&m's or whateva," Kiara laughed.

As I begin to recognize the guys bleached hair and pointy nose, I remember him going crazy at another party a while back. He spat some dope rhymes last time but he was a little too much with all that extra shit.

The crowd was quieting down at this point until someone from behind us shouted out.

"YOUR SLIM SHADY EP BULLSHIT SUCKED DICK!" The voice yelled. A few chuckles erupted and M&M guy flipped off into the guy who shouted's general direction.

M&M brought the mic in his hand real close to his mouth that you could hear him breathing.

"Well this song's just for you," M&M said in a low voice. He nodded to someone in the crowd and a beat started playing out.

"Slim Shady, brain dead like Jim Brady!"

"I'm a M-80, you little like that Kim lady
I'm buzzin', Dirty Dozen, naughty rotten rhymer!"

"Cursin' at you players worse than Marty Schottenheimer,"

"You wacker than the motherfucker you bit yo' style from!"

The crowd was now yapping about; enjoying his performance. I looked back to the guy who was heckling and he was tutting about. He cupped his mouth with his hands. "FAGGOT ASS WHITE BOY!"

But M&M kept going. I must admit, he was a phenomenal performer. He was crouching down on the electircal box which made girls eagerly reach for his him.

So yeah, I enjoyed this guys performance. He looked like one cocky son of a bitch though.

-

That's the first chapter!! I'm sorry if it wasn't good; I will definitely improve. Feel free to leave any constructive criticism. And just another reminder so it isn't confusing, this story takes place in 1998 when Marshall is 26 years old right before his career rockets.