Chapter 3

"Thanks," I muttered, hoping off the bus. I scanned the area to figure out where I was until I spotted the bus stop I had waited at many times before. I shivered and dug my hands deeper into my windbreaker for it was much colder today than the previous night. I was properly dressed this time which made things much better.

My next bus pulled up slowly in front of me and the two other people who were waiting. Eager to find warmth, we all hurriedly got in.

There was a big emptiness towards the back of the bus so I hustled there and sat down releasing a great sigh. I wasn't fond of taking the city bus. It wasn't the cleanest nor nicest place to be. But I have things I want to do and there's no way my mom would be open to taking me. In fact, I don't think she can legally drive anymore. 

I set up my discman and started playing my "Me Against The World" disk. I put my headphones on and closed my eyes lightly, leaning against the window besides me. Tupac's voice circled my head. When "Dear Mama" came on, I must have replayed that song four times in a row.

I looked out the window and saw I was nearing where I wanted to get off. The driver began pulling to a halt so I stumbled down the walkway; grabbing onto the seats to regain my balance.

"Thank you, sir."

He smiled and waved while stepped out.

I didn't go out often by my lonesome. So when I pulled off my headphones and came back t reality, I realized how nervous and tense I was. However, at the same time joy and butterflies overcame me.

As expected, when I walked into the record store, it was packed. It was a Saturday and this was a great time for rising artists to peddle away to all the incoming customers. That is until the manager kicks them out.

Me being my anti-social self, I rush right to the area with the least people. I mindlessly flip through the CD's and tapes seeing nothing I'm looking for. I've been here so many times, you'd think I'd have the floor plan down pat. 

I stand in the same area, the area titled "Alternative" until a few people leave and the whole place feels a little less congested. 

I scan each titled area until I come across "Hip Hop". I search through everything three times and find nothing by that M&M guy, nothing titled something Slim and nothing with a blonde white boy. At first I feel sad and disappointed but as I push by people I feel pissed off that I spent that damn bus fair and wasted my day away. 

Before leaving, I go to the check out. 

"You got any of that uh...M and M music?"

The guy behind the counter fiddles with his piercings on his ear and shoots me a judgmental look. "Eminem? Yea his albums up here."

Giddy rushes through me as the guy turns around and reaches up on his shelf. "We got Infinite and his and the EP."

Not knowing what that shit meant, I tried my best to avoid sounding like a whole dummy. "Coolio. I'll take both."

"Aiite, that's $50.99."

What the fuck? Damn that's hella pricey. I gotta try and swipe that shit from the back."Y'all got that in the hip hop section back there?" I asked pointing to the regular CD area.

"Uhh...no. He's our featured artist at the moment. That's why it's up here and costing lots of dough." He said with grimace and mockery looking at me like I was a bum or something.

"Well, I'll take both!" I smiled sarcastically. 

"Sure, have a good day," He said as we exchanged.