Chapter 2

It was now colder than ever and I really wished Kiara and Allie didn't convince me to not bring a jacket so "could show off the bod". By the time that M&M guy was done his whole "show", I was more than ready to leave than before.

I tugged on Kiara's sleeve, "Can we please get going?" I begged. 

Allie gasped, "No! Don't y'all want to talk to the M&M boy?"

He jumped off the electrical box and gave dap to a guy who just walked up to him.

"No fucking way...is that Dr. Dre??" Kiara cried, jumping up and down with excitement. 

I was in a Tupac phase ever since his passing a couple years back. So I haven't really listened to much Dr. Dre. But I still stood there star struck.

"Ouuu, candy boy got some connections," Allie sang flipping her braids over her shoulder. 

"Psshh, he's a white boy," I said flat out.

"And you a white girl, doesn't lower ya worth," Kiara told me with a shrug.

"Y'all know what I mean." I said shaking my head. "Since when does a white boy rap?" I looked back to M&M. He was harder to see now that there was a swarm of fans surrounding him and Dr. Dre.

I mouthed, "lets go," to the girls but they didn't pay attention. Instead they pushed through the mob and I of course followed. I really wasn't a fan of parties to begin with. Well I'm a fan of parties but my anxiety isn't. 

As much as I tried to enjoy this time with my friends, I felt so held back. It used to be much worse though is what I always reminded myself. A couple years back I wasn't going anywhere, cooped up in my room spending most of my day sleeping for no reason other than to avoid reality.

Allie, Kiara and I were now behind a group of tall girls. Who had black and red albums clutched in their arms asking for signatures.

"Look out for the LP girls," M&M said with a side smile while signing their cd's.

The girls nodded with a squeal and darted off while arguing which signature was better.

"Allie Thompson, nice to meet you!" Allie said flirtatiously putting her hand out to shake his.

Kiara budged in between them, "I love love LOVE the Slim Shady EP! Low Down Dirty is THE best!" She babbled with a bright smile.

"Thanks darlin'. Nice to meet y'all," he said raspily. He then looked at me up and down and then slightly cocked his head back with a smirk. What was that supposed to mean?

I side-eyed him and stayed silent. I wasn't really sure what to say. I never really cared to listen to his music.

"What are your guys' names?" He asked in between gulps from a water bottle.

"I just said Allie. And this is Kiar-"

"I'm Kiara," she chirpped, cutting Allie off.

He nodded with distant eyes and looked back to me.

I paused and looked in return. His bright blue eyes looked so tired yet so bright at the same time.

Kiara elbowed me.

"Oh. I'm Peyton."

-

"You seen the way he was looking at you!?" Kiara exclaimed while she grab my shoulders and shook me around. "He's tryna FUCK!"

I chuckled and shrugged her off. "Stop fuckin' with me. Y'all hyping me up to much."

"He's fine as hell doe," Allie said with dreamy eyes.

"Aye I thought you wasn't into white boys," said Kiara questionably.

"He a bangin' white boy though."

"Ain't yo ass with Dante though?" I asked Allie.

"Yeah, yeah. Why don't you hook up with M&M dude? Y'all would be cute as fuck together!"

"No way in hell I could get with him. He's a rapper! And my ma won't tolerate that shit."

"Girl! You're nine fucking teen! You a grown ass adult. Your momma can't be telling you what to do!" Allie said shaking her head and crossing her arms in disapproval.

Kiara and looked to each other and silently snickered.

Allie lived a very different life than us. First of all she's already living on her own in a nice place too. For Kiara and I, we still living in the roots. Not much slides when you're under the same roof as your momma.

We made it to Kiara's house and I stopped by her driveway.

"You staying over tonight?" Kiara asked.

"I want to but my mom won't be happy if I don't show up till' tomorrow."

They nodded and we all gave each other a hug and I headed off.

Usually I wouldn't be as willing to walk alone in the night but it was a just under five minute walk so I wasn't too worried. Our street wasn't too busy either. A few people would be out and about this late but not on the roads. They'd keep to themselves on their porches usually.

I unlocked my front door and opened it as slowly as I possibly could hoping not to wake my mom.

Immediately as the door cracks open my little miniature pinscher, Niyo comes charging to the door. He wags his tail excitedly and greets me with licks.

I lock the door behind me and look over to the living room. My mom lays on the couch, passed out. The colours of the TV flash upon her face.

I walk closer to her and notice the liquor bottle on the floor next to her hand that's dangling over the side of the couch. I check to make sure she's breathing steadily and then quietly turn off the TV and take away the dirty dishes surrounding her.

-

I changed into an old t-shirt and sweat pants and wiped off my makeup at my vanity. I have always loved my vanity; it was my favourite part of my room. I had received it as a hand-me-down from my cousin Anaya back when I was a little girl. It was clunky, childish and the paint job was definitely overdue for a re-do but nonetheless I loved it.

I got into bed and flipped the blankets over me and was just about to shut off my lamp when Niyo leaps onto my duvet and licks me crazily.

"Thank you for not ratting me out when I got home, buddy," I whispered, scratching behind his ear.