Chapter 9

"Fuck the bleach blonde, I should go Aquaman blue!" Marshall joked, running his fingers through my corny wig. It was incredibly cheap so as he pulled his hand away, a few blue strands followed.

He strategically placed the strands on his head and made a bizzare face. "How do I look?" He teased.

I wiped underneath my eyes hoping to clear any smudged makeup. "You look phenomenal."

He chuckled and put his arm around my shoulder, drawing me closer to his body. We were sitting on the same sidewalk that he found me crying. Marshall had told his friends to go on to the party and that'd he catch up in a bit. That was almost an hour ago.

My whole head was aching and my eyes felt droopy from all of the crying, so I rest it against Marshall's shoulder. I took a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry."

He let his hand fall to my waist as I was now cuddled into him. "What for?" He asked me, confused.

"For holding you back from having fun. Really, you should just go to the party. I'll walk home," I explained. Even though I said this, I still secretly hoped he wouldn't go and he'd just stay by my side. 

"Halloween parties are ham as fuck anyways," He cackled. "I much rather spend my time with you."

"Dude, your're crazy for wanting to spend time with me. All I do is bitch and moan," I laughed.

He tutted and shook his head in disagreement. I stayed there silently in his arms for a while and looked up at the starry night sky. We were at a dead-end road so it was like our personal hideout. After a few more minutes of being stuck in my mind, I sat up a bit. 

"How come you hardly talk about your life?" I blurted out.

He grinned. "Because you're always talking about yours."

I looked up to him with guilty and apologetic eyes.

"I'm just playin'," He comforted quickly. "What you wanna know?" He asked.

What did I want to know about him? Well everything of course but how does one go about asking? "What's your family like?" 

He had told me he still lives with his family but never went into depth.

"Well I got a little brother, Nathan," he started, stretching his legs out onto the road. "He's twelve."

"Do you just live with him? Or-"

"Nah, I live with my Ma too but even with her there, I've practically raised Nathan."

I frown. "I'm sorry, that must be hard."

"It really was. Especially when I was taking care of him when I was a child myself. It's easier now though you know?" He told me thoughtfully.

"Do you get along with your mom?" 

"We butt heads pretty often actually," he said and then crinkled his nose and squinted his eyes as if he were thinking hard. "But at the end of the day she's my mother. And I love her."

We were sitting up straight now. Marshall scrambled for a pebble in the cracks of the sidewalk and once he found one, he threw it and it clanged against the fence across the road.

"That's my old school," He said nodding his head to the building behind the fence. 

"Really?" 

"C'mon."

He helped me over the fence and then climbed it afterwards. He took my hand and we jogged together to the back of the building. He lead me to a back door and he then started picking the lock.