Chapter 11

"One second!" I called from my room. I had just gotten out of the shower, my hair still wrapped in a towel and I was sitting at my vanity trying new makeup looks. I quickly finished blending my purple eye shadow on my other eye and ran to the front door.

I tore the towel off my wet hair and swung open the door to see Allie and Kiara standing side by side.

Allie fiddled with her hands and Kiara looked down to her shoes. They were both wearing their pairs of Air Max III's. A couple years ago we had all saved up for them so we could all match and stunt on everyone.

"Peyton...we are so sorry-" Kiara started.

I pulled them both into a tight hug. "It's okay," I told them in a small voice. As we unraveled from the hug, I noticed tears in Allies eyes which was unusual for I've only seen her cry twice during the eight years I've known her.

She shook her head and wiped her eyes with the back of hand. "No, it's not okay. I was being a bitch," She cried.  "I guess I was trying to sound all lowkey in front of Dante and that was so childish of me."

"I get it, I've said some dumb shit to in my days," I laughed.

"Me too. Remember when we were younger and I started talking to my crush Darius about how I'd wear fishnet leggings or somethin'?" Kiara jeered with a grin.

We all cracked up laughing, remembering Kiara's awkward encounter.

I reached behind the door to where we kept out shoes and I grabbed my matching pair of Air Max III's and wagged them in the air. "Wanna shot some hoops?"

Kiara almost gasped. "With that wet hair of yours, you gon' catch a cold!" She declared, being the motherly figure of the group.

I scrunched my hair with my hand and realized it was still pretty soaked.

"Yeah and it's getting dark already. But let's hang tomorrow," I said eagerly, excited to talk and swoon over Marshall with them.

I hugged them bye and closed the door. I went back to my room, Niyo now trotting by my heels and thoughts about Marshall now swirling through my head as I put one of his CD's in my discman.

I tug out the headphones and let the music play as loud as possible since I had the house all to myself while mom was out with Dan.

I grabbed my hairbrush from the vanity and started mouthing the lyrics to 'If I had' in front of the mirror until I hear another knock at the door.

I pause, turn off the music and Niyo rushes out of the room because he's not nesscarily fond of visitors.

Another knock echoes through the house. I now rush to the door and crack it open to see Marshall leaving my porch but he quickly turns to the sound of the door creaking open.

"Uh, hey?" I say more as a question than a greeting.

"Yo," he mumbles, coming up to me. His fingers play with one of the little golden hoops on his ear.

I let him inside and we sit next to each other on the couch. "What's goin' on?" I finally ask after a few seconds of silence.

He looks uncomfortable and unable to sit still, his eyebrows crooked. "Aye look, I'm sorry for troubling you," he says in a strained voice. He stands up to leave but I grab his hand.

"Marshall, you're not bothering me. Stay."

And as if I put a spell on him, he immediately sat back down. "I'm just so fuckin' tired of the same shit at home, always arguing," he tells me with saddened eyes.

I hated seeing anyone sad, but seeing Marshall sad was a nightmare. I wish I could take away all of his troubles. I put my hand on his arm.

He shook his head and took a deep breath. "It's fine though," he assured. "Fuck it."