24. Marry Me?

New Year's Eve.

Standing backstage alone, Lisa let her thoughts consume her, drowning out the applause of the audience.

Unfortunately after Christmas Jisoo's condition had started to worsen to the point where she could no longer leave bed. Lisa and Chaeyoung were required to get back to their work schedules shortly after.

The amount of concealer her makeup artists has to put on increases week by week just to cover up the bags under her eyes. She hasn't been able to sleep much. But she's never felt so exhausted.

A warm hand slipping into hers draws her back to reality.

"Hey, you okay?" Chaeyoung asks softly.

The corner of Lisa's lips barely lift. "Yeah." She lies.

Chaeyoung knows better than to fall for her act. Squeezing the hand in hers for support she kisses the side of her shoulder.

"I'm here for you."

"I know." Lisa squeezes her hand back.

•••

"So this new song was dropped unannounced and the fans are wondering what the inspiration behind the song is." The interviewer asks.

"Well, this past month has actually been really hard for us due to a family matter. Not many people know this but my sister was admitted to the hospital awhile back and is still there. Our family is doing the best we can to stay strong and to be strong for her, so this is kind of our way of doing that for her." Lisa says, swallowing the lump in her throat and forcing a smile for the camera.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope she gets better, and our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family."

"Thank you."

"Just after the break, we'll see a performance of Unit Blacks new song. Please stay tuned!"

•••

She's been asleep for hours, maybe even days. She doesn't know because she's lost count. If it weren't for the blinds being open she wouldn't be able to tell if it were day or night.

The small tv is the only thing lighting up the private hospital room. It's colours dancing over the pale skin of Jisoo's sleeping face.

11:45 pm.

It's almost New Years.

The time where everyone believes they can scrap the old them and start new.

Jennie wishes she could do that.

She didn't want to be sitting in this hospital wasting her life away. She didn't want Jisoo to be in this hospital sick. It's not that she resents Jisoo. In fact there isn't a single cell in her body that regrets being here with Jisoo.

But it's because it's Jisoo.

She loves her so damn much it hurts.

Her eyes flicker back to the television when the commercial break is over. Her soft hand gives a light squeeze to the one perfectly fitted in hers hoping for some type of response. 

Jisoo's body was exhausted to the max. The chemotherapy was really wearing her body down. To the point where she was practically skin and bones.

Soon the sound of slow piano is radiating from the tv. Jennie's brown eyes fall back to Jisoo's angelic face sleeping peacefully. The only time when she wasn't in pain.

Chaeyoung- italics
Lisa- Bold

'There's no reason, there's no rhyme
I found myself blindsided by
A feeling that I've never known
I'm dealing with it on my own'