Chapter Ten

Chris' father, Mr Charles called me to his study immediately after breakfast. I was pondering on what he was going to say to me.

I was extremely afraid of him so treated him with courtesy.

He took a seat in a comfortable sunlit area where I supposed was his reading or working table because there were books and a laptop on the table where he sat.

On his table the picture in the frame that stood facing sideways attracted me.

It was a picture of his family: he, his wife and Chris. Chris looked a lot younger there. His mom was still looking the same, still beautiful and gracious as always.

He wore his spectacles and offered me a sit on the opposite side of the table.

"Please sit yourself down "

I irresolutely sat.

He leaned back and then forward in his swivel chair.

I tried controlling my emotions in front of him so he wouldn't consider me as being weak.

"Are you scared? " he popped open the question.

"Me? Oh me. No I'm not " I almost quivered.

He leaned back as his chair made a small squeak.

"But you act and sound like you do. Okay why are your hands tucked in between your laps like you're shivering? " he said, trying to put on a smile that didn't really much suit his face.

How did he know I was tucking my hand between my laps.

"Okay back to business! " he said, dropping his smile and carrying on a more serious look.

"Chris has been acting weird all of a sudden ever since his marriage to you"

So is his attitude to me a different one?

"I've always known Chris as a really gentle young man but since he got married to you, things became different " He paused then continued

"I'm not blaming you, don't get me wrong. I just want you to know about it "

"The reason we made you marry to him is because we are trying to keep someone away from him for good"

"Maybe Chris have not told you about this, has he?" He asked

"He hasn't" I replied, staring at his table.

"Hm. Her name is Amarachi" his lips curved downwards.

My eyes went searching and my heart skipped on the sound of Chris' girlfriend's name.

Why would they want to separate Chris from his love. I mean from what I've seen, Chris loves her.

"She is beautiful, yes, she has all the body features a young man would want but she lacks one thing - inner beauty. " He continued

Inner beauty? Well I would agree with him. With how she spoke to me that day, I'm not wrong if I agree.

"I don't know what she did to my son that made him hold onto her like a leech " he said, sounding angry.

"It could be love" I replied

" Love? I don't think so. I know what love is compared to him or even you. You are still young. That, my dear is called an infatuation not love"

"I know how many times she has hurt him but he still keeps crawling back to her" he said, removing his spectacles, placing it on the table.

Getting more serious he asked: "Are you happy with this marriage? " he squinted towards me as if trying to examine my expression while he waited for a reply.