Chapter Thirteen

On a warm Friday evening I heard a knock on my door around 6pm when I was steaming meat for soup.

I immediately cleaned my hands on a kitchen towel then removed my apron, hanging it on its place.

The knock came again so I shouted in a calm voice: "coming "

I ran out of the kitchen to open the door for the unknown visitor. The door was shut with a key, I made that mistake but thankfully the key bunch was stuck in the key hole making it easier for me.

My blood went cold as I saw Chris standing outside my door and my head was spinning round and round in circles.

He was as handsome as ever.

"Eddy won't you let me in? " he asked, bringing me back to reality.

"Oh I'm so sorry, please come in " I said, opening the door wider and giving way for him to walk in after realizing my silly mistake.

Chris took a seat where he found most convenient. I really was nuts for being nervous around him like that.

"You've gotten your apartment well organised " he complimented, moving his eyes around.

"Thank you " I responded. " Is there anything you might want, I'll go get it for you " I said, trying to put on a smile.

"Yes thank you. The scent of good aroma spurred my appetite so I think I'm interested in your food " said Chris.

I was surprised at Chris' attitude towards me, I kept on asking myself why.

" It will take a little while to be done so are you still going to waait? " I asked, tilting my head to the left and lifting my left shoulder close to my head.

"I will " he answered.

I continued cooking while he entertained himself with shows and news from my decoder. Too bad I subscribed for the lowest budget.

Cooking was done and food was served. Chris insisted I ate with him, I think he couldn't stand eating alone. I reluctantly joined him. Mind you, not in the same plate.

He ate the way I saw him eat in Lagos. I took all the dishes to the kitchen on my own then came back to the dinning to see him still seating. I joined him but didn't know how to start a conversation.

He started off with a smile. "I knew you were the one that cooked throughout our stay in Lagos. At least I know your cooking. So you can cook? " he said after thanking me for the meal.

"I-I do love cooking but I'm not a pro at it, my mom is " I replied.

"Wow, then if yours is this good, I wonder how mother's tastes like" he said, placing his hand on the table.

I didn't know what to say than to smile with closed lips.

"So about you, were you ready for this marriage? " he asked as if he didn't know the answer.

"Well no I wasn't. I wasn't ready because I didn't want it, I-I was forced into it by circumstance " I stared at the floor. " what about you? " I raised my head.

"Never, I was never ready at all. I had to obey my father, leaving behind what I shouldn't have " his voice remained the same even after the last statement.

"Your girlfriend? " I asked, peering deep into his eyes as if trying to catch a fact.

"She couldn't take it, she was feeling suicidal all because of me " his eyes stared at the table.

I felt bad but did she really love him that much to want to commit something horrible.

"I'm sorry for everything I've caused you and Amarachi " I apologized.