Chapter Twelve

At the end of my stay at Lagos, mother loaded our trunk with lots of foodstuffs for my family only, saying she wanted Chris to act responsible towards me.

We drove back to our state for hours, only the two of us. Throughout our stay in the car, we were as quiet as ever, not even a single word slipped out of our lips.

There were times I stared out of the window and see something beautiful, I bit my lip if I try opening my mouth to commend on how beautiful it is.

So I guess I'm also at fault. I took a slight look at Chris but he wasn't looking bothered by the silence. It was as if I wasn't even there. This guy really doesn't like my presence. Well I honestly don't like his either.

We drove straight to my parents' place once were arrived the location.

My second (my brother after me) of about 17 years ran towards me first and hugged me immediately I stepped out of the car.

He also greeted Chris by giving him a manly handshake but Chris surprisingly gave him a hug.

Seriously I'm thinking, is this part of the plan.. pretence? Is Chris really doing his heart or pretending?

After that my whole family rushed out to greet us except for my father. He wasn't back yet from who knows where.

Thank God my mom wasn't on a night shift. I and Chris greeted mom and she gave us an effusive hug.

Honestly is it that only mothers of grown ups do that?

My siblings removed the goods from the trunk.

"I'm sorry Chris for not attending your convocation. No excuse can make me free from guilt " Mom apologized.

"No problem mother, no one is angry with anyone although mum was kinda disappointed but it's all okay now" Chris responded.

Normally my parents don't stay away from important occasions, perhaps something came up that's why they stayed.

My dad finally arrived, giving room for me and mother to talk while he and Chris talked.

Mum can be really funny, even after marriage she still wants to know about my private life. She asked of how Chris treats me, whether I'm happy, whether he loves me and all that.

The questions were beginning to get annoying because I knew I had to lie. It was getting really late and we had to get back home as soon as possible. Mum and I went outside to see Chris and dad having an interesting conversation that even Chris was laughing for the first time. What could have made him laugh?

Majority of conversations with dad are just politics. And please don't tell me Chris is a politics person. I hate it.

But for some unknown reason, I felt strangely happy when I saw him laugh and I didn't want to spoil the moment but I had to. We said our goodbyes and set out on another journey but I wasn't going to the estate, I was alighting at my place.

Chris dropped me off and waved at me while smiling, then drove off.

"I don't understand you " I said in a quite low tone.

I went inside my house, switched on the lights to see everything just as I left it. When I undressed, I looked at myself in the large dressing mirror.

I was nude, just standing in front of the mirror to examine myself.

I sighed as I looked at myself. My mother isn't slim, she is like Chris' mum, gorgeously plump. Just don't know why I'm the only one slim.

My younger sister is plump and really round around her hips and chest at just 16 years of age, adding to it, she looks mature than me on makeup actually. Good thing I'm taller than her.