Chapter Thirty-one

I yawned, wishing for the hundredth time to be in bed and sleeping instead of stressing myself at work this way.

"Girl get a grip on yourself before you swallow us all." My colleague, Mercy joked, earning snorts from my fellow co-workers. I sighed and shook my head but groaned at the pain that shot through my skull.

"This illness is really getting to you babe, are you still on drugs?" She asked. Out of the few confreres inside this large office, it's only her that I'm most comfortable with since she's perhaps sitting close to my desk.

"Yeah, I'll be fine by the morning I guess." I said, dragging my files to myself. Today's a bit quiet and I don't know exactly why. "The drug is working.." I yawned again, getting amused stares from everyone.

"Eddy will seriously swallow us up. Is it hunger or sickness? This one is a problem I tell you." Another colleague said while the others laughed. She is not one to talk too much because she seems more mature than most of us. I always envy her fingers when compared to mine due to the way she graces the keyboard. Her fingers are agile but are as light as a feather. She could type so much within seconds without making a mistake. It's an ability I need, not that I'm bad at it, I'm pretty normal but the urge to be the best is suppressing the other.

"Swears." Jude, my male colleague said with a huge grin.

"Maybe you're right, I need food." I pulled myself backwards with my chair. Last time I checked, I tasted food only in the morning. After all it's only forty minutes to closing time.

"Right baby, don't overstay. There's work to be done." Amanda, my petite associate said. I gave her thump up to signal I got her.

Closing my system, I grabbed my credit card and headed to the cafeteria. It's odd that I'm yawning consistently. Perhaps it's the effect of the drug or maybe I'm just tired or something. Moving past few offices and running into familiar faces, I finally made it to the lift only to wait for it to reach where I was after pressing on the button. It opened, revealing three people of which only one got out. I made my way in, greeting both occupants. I pressed the button leading to the last floor.

Being in front of these people made me feel uncomfortable and makes the whole quiet situation really awkward but I put that thought behind me. The elevator dinged and the two went out leaving only me behind. When it finally reached where I wanted, I got out and made my way to the exit.

There is almost nothing as comfortable as ballad flats which of course is situated on my foot. As I touched the metallic door handle resembling a railing, I shivered from the cold it sipped. Such a cold as this results from the internal temperature distributed from the air conditioners located on the ceiling.

Our company has a local cafeteria situated a few miles from the main building. Funnily enough, many people who visit this cafeteria are not employees. A couple who just happen to see this place or hear of it might want to eat from here. Or the clients too. The night as usual is truly a busy one, with lots of cars passing by and people making night sales across the street. I ran my fingers through my hair, looking down for a moment before looking up.

I stopped dead on my track on the sight of someone. A sudden feeling of Déjà Vu filled me for a moment. I took slow confident steps, planning to evade her before she sees me and worse - recognises me. But it seems that's not what today set for me because as I kept on walking, looking her direction, her eyes landed right on me. Surprisingly she was alone which frightened me more.

I don't know what caused this but I found it impossible to unlock my eyes from her. I could make out the confused expression on her face and she wasn't hiding it. She walked to me with a pair of Versace goggle in her hand apart from her designer bag. I slowly halted in front of her with a non-readable expression on my face. She glanced me whole and I couldn't help but feel a little self-conscious.