More Blood

~Cross' POV~

I tilted my head back and just downed the whole glass of whiskey. My throat burned as the liquid slid down it. 

I slammed the glass down on a table.

I was in one of the bedrooms upstairs. We don't use them because they're far too big. It scares the crap out of us, being away from each other in this massive house.

I moved over to the dusty bed and sat down on it.

I don't think I'd ever been in this room.

The walls were painted deep purple, and looking up, there was a... massive dream catcher? It was probably as big as (or even bigger) than me. It was in all dark colours, black, purple, and deep blue feathers were attached by little pieces of string. It hung from the ceiling. 

I won't lie, it was beautiful. 

I poked it, and dust rained down from it. 

There was a set of drawers beside the bed, and I opened the first one. 

The first thing I pulled out was a small, framed photo.

It was so dusty that I couldn't see what the picture was.

I started to wipe it with my finger, trying to figure it out a I did so.

Pretty soon the whole picture was uncovered.

But there was a crack across the glass of the frame. 

There were two figures, and I recognised them immediately.

They were Dream and Nightmare. 

But they looked like they were about 9 or 10.

Nightmare had his arms around Dream, and Dream was giving a radiant smile. 

Nightmare's expression could not be seen, as there was a large crack covering it. 

Who had done that to the photo?

Suddenly, Nightmare's voice rings out. 

"Cross?" He shouts. 

I quickly shove the picture back into the drawer and slam it 

But not before Nightmare comes into the room.

And he saw that I was going through the drawers.

He closes the door softly. 

"Did you see the picture?" 

It almost sounded like a statement. A rhetorical question. 

He sat down next to me and I nodded slowly. 

"Why was your face-" I started to ask, but he cut across me.

"My father. He hated me."

I turned to face him.

"Why?"

"He thinks that only Dream should exist. That I'm a mistake. He was furious  when he found out that my mother was pregnant with twins.  He wanted to kill me as soon as I was born. Said he didn't want to be the father of 'an evil bringer of bad dreams.'"

'That's disgusting,' I thought, 'no kid deserves to be treated like that.'

"Oh, Nightmare... I-I don't know w-what to  say..."

He shook his head.

"There's nothing you can say, Crossy. And it's not your place to anyway. You did nothing to me."