Howl

I never wanted it to end, abruptly. That was my one true fear. Just, my life blinking out so quickly and without a ceremony. I wanted to be celebrated and remembered. Nothing like, a whisper in the wind. I embraced my inevitable death, but I wanted to be in control of it. I was terrified of being out of control of my own life, my thoughts, my feelings, and anything I had a firm grasp on.

And to have someone tell me, my life had an expiration date due to heart failure. I couldn’t handle that. My species never got sick.

I was not a mortal, not a meatbag. I was something more spectacular and grand.

I was not going to die, because I let a human into my personal ring. I loved them and they loved me. I would do anything for their well-being. Their happiness. All of them was so important to me, that dying now and rather early was not to be allowed.

But I guess Mother Moon put another curse on us.

To love the humans, is to lie in the dirt.

Walking down the shadowed path of the trail, my eyes lingered on a particularly beautiful woman. She carried herself in a way my kind usually does. But her scent was pure innocence and soap. Nothing of the ragged and blood-stained scent my kind has.

Stepping lightly and carefully, i watched her jump and swing her way around branches. Her hands quick to propel her body away from danger. Her hair was tamed into a simple ponytail, the silky strands white in the beaming sunlight. Her dark eyes, also brightened by the sun. I ran my tongue along my aching teeth, the sharp points pricking the delicate flesh. My thirst heightened as the scent of her exertion filled the breeze.

The ripple of the change shifted under my skin, wanting out already. The need to feel the sweet taste of her blood and essence was almost unbearable, my lungs nearly exploding with all the effort to stay in skin for just a moment longer. My ribs pushing outward with the howl of the hunt stuffed between organs, the pain was overwhelmingly sweet.

Grinding my teeth against my nature, I watched her again. Sitting on a fallen log, she smiled up at something. Her mouth opened and tinkling laughter spilled from her full lips. And a growl fell from mine. God, I wanted to bury my teeth in her soft flesh.

A hand came into view and lovingly caressed her cheek, then a brunette haired head descended upon my prey and hid her face from me.

I took a lungful of air as I caught scent of this other person. The smell stuck in my nose, the sickeningly sapid smell lingered in my head; sufficiently making me dizzy and excited. Leaning against the tree, I slipped down the trunk and ended on my ass looking dazed through the canopy above trying to find some sort of stabilizing element.

A gasp left me as the hunting prowess left. I sat there gasping for the air that teased my lungs moments ago, but I found none.

My hands clutched at anything that was within reach as a searing pain traveled across my scalp. I slumped forward as the voices erupted in my head, each speaking of different things.

‘There she is. Sara. Where are you?’