Chapter Five

After meeting Hanzo, time really flew by. Before Jesse knew it, to week's had turned into two months. They kept travelling from place to place, so much that it was hard yo keep up with their location. The last definite location he had told Gabriel was Volskaya, Russia, and that was a little over a week ago.

While distrust was still present, McCree had managed to become acquaintances with his target. They talked about he little things and stayed away from serious topics. At one point, the ravenet gave him some insightful advice on picking up cultures and customs over coffee.

"You don't say much," the southerner murmured. "But you get your point across."

"Is that a bad thing?" Hanzo asked, stirring his straw in his drink. Jesse couldn't help but notice the small smile on his face.

"It ain't," he answered, taking a sip of his drink. "In fact, I like it."

While they had become acquaintances, Hanzo was still very distant and short with him. The cowboy was hoping that would change soon, but he also didn't want to push it. It took all his strength to remind himself he was on the job, and that being friends with the Shimada would just make things harder for him.

But being the social butterfly he is, he didn't listen to his own advice.

"We should stop for a night," the brunet suggested as they walked down a waterfront. The Asian had planned for them to catch a ship to Japan, for reasons for reasons unknown. "Y'know, for a lil' breather."

"I agree with you," the other said quickly, so quickly that it surprised Jesse. "Stopping would do us some good. One night, and then we can catch that boat to Hana-"

He stops, as if the word he was about to say would damn him to hell on the spot. He licked his lips, then said, "... Japan."

Before McCree could ask what that was about, the Asian spun on his heel and rounded a corner, leaving the other behind. With a frustrated sigh, he turned to corner and followed him.

They were on a side street now, with shops and hotels everywhere. It finally dawned in him where they were: South Korea, right near the coast of Japan. He almost snickered at the realization, but decided against it.

Whenever Jesse looked for two seconds, Hanzo would disappear from view. Two seconds later, he'd relocate him, looking back at the southerner with a gleam in his eyes. With a growl, he'd rejoin him.

"You're not a very good bodyguard," the archer said after the stunt had been pulled a few times. "Why'd the Arakaki hire you?"

"This isn't a normal mission for me," the cowboy muttered quietly. "I'm usually sent around Japan looking for people. You were a special case."

He sighed loudly, and McCree watched as he slipped a credit card out of a tourist's pocket. "It's just like them to sat local..." He looked at the ground, an unreadable expression on his face. "And just like the to consider me a 'special case'..."

Without realizing it, Jesse found himself sympathizing with him. "Look, Han-"

"You can pity me when we get to the hotel," he muttered, not sparing the brunet a glance. He winced at Hanzo's harsh tone, then immediately asked himself why. The Shimada was always short and cold with him, why did it bother him now?

Shaking it off, he grabbed the other's arm and tugged him towards a hotel they were passing. "Well, speak off the devil, we're here now," he said almost bitterly.

The two stared at each other defiantly. Without breaking eye contact, Hanzo pulled out of his grip. "I guess we are," he said, walking inside.

The cowboy swore he saw a smile playing on the other's lips. Soon enough, there was one on his as well. He followed the ravenet inside with a soft chuckle. "Pushover..."

"Shut it."