Chapter Six

They finished checking in as the sun was going down. As soon as they settled in, the Shimada went over to the window and opened it. With a quiet sigh, he sat on the edge of the windowsill and stared out of it. Jesse watched him in amusement.

"Y'know, that's an easy way to get yerself killed."

"I'd rather die than marry an Arakaki."

The room fell quiet, and the southerner blinked in confusion. Before he could ask what he meant, the Asian continued.

"I know that's why you're here. To take me back so I can marry... Her." He kept his gaze on the setting sun. For the first time, McCree noticed the thin, yellow ribbon holding his hair up.

"And I'll let you take me there. But first... I want to see Hanamura one last time."

The pieces were slowly fitting to gather in the brunet' mind and he decided to roll with it. "I'm sorry it had to be you. I know ya don't want this."

"If I'm lucky," Hanzo sighed, "Her father will change his mind." The archer glanced back at him. "I was always more interested in their little brother."

The cowboy bit his cheek as he said something risky. "Which one?"

To his relief, it was the right thing to say. "Daichi," he answered, a small smile on his face. "Katsuaki was an asshole."

Jesse snickered. "I hear ya..." Quietly, he walked over to the window and leaned against it. "Friend, that's the more words than you've spoken in the past two weeks," he joked quietly.

He heard the ravenet snicker. "Hell, that's the most I've spoken in a year."

They stayed quiet and stared at the sunset. Seeing the reds and oranges and purples dance on the water. The silence was soon broken, though, by a talkative southerner.

"Say, Han, whaddya think would happen if you turned down the proposal?" He couldn't keep the curiosity out of his voice. "Y'know, since you left the clan and all..."

The question seemed to have struck a chord with the Shimada. "I guess it means the world ends and guys like you an me march off to hell."

"Speak for yerself," McCree murmured, lighting a cigar. He brought it to his lip and inhaled. As he spoke, smoke billowed out of his mouth. "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity."

Hanzo glanced over at him, a skeptical look on his face. "I doubt that..." He turned to face the gunslinger, with one leg still on the windowsill. "I'm sure you sinned quite a bit in that gang of yours."

"Deadlock?" Jesse asked, not expecting an answer. He shrugged, taking an other puff of his cigar. "Just because it's a crime doesn't mean it's a sin."

"That's the most flawed logic I've ever heard," the ravenet said with a laugh. It was the first time he had truly laughed - not a snicker or muffled giggle, but an actual laugh. The southerner felt the color rising to his cheeks and coughed, looking away. "That's just my style, darlin'. Flawed logic and risky maneuvers."

"You like danger, I presume?"

"You guessed right." His cigar had been whittled down to nothing, so he flicked it out the window. He watched as it fell through the air and landed a foot away from the trash can. With a shrug, he pushed himself off the window and went towards the beds. "Gotta live off somethin'. And I'm livin' off the thrill."

The ravenet hummed in acknowledgement and got down from the window. "You have a way with words, you know that?"

McCree tilted his head in confusion. "Whaddya mean?"

The Shimada laughed again, and the gunslinger forgot what he was asking. His mind was racing with questions about Hanzo, but he immediately shut them out. "You're on a mission. Keep it together."

He tried to follow that advice through the rest of the night, even repeating it to himself as he was trying to sleep. That advice soon went out the window they were sitting on when he realized something.

He had called Hanzo darling. And Hanzo had let him.