Chapter Twenty

His punishment was less severe than he thought it would be.

Instead of getting a promotion, he got a demotion. He was back to being a cadet, which was annoying, but not the worst thing that could happen. Reyes gave him a very stern lecture, but it was full of confusion.

"Really, Jesse, why would you free him? You worked so hard to get him here, why throw all that hard work away?"

The cowboy shrugged. "Love makes you do crazy things, boss."

At this, Gabriel's expression softened. "Oh, you precious little fucker..."

As he requested, Hanzo sent him letters. They were mostly tales of his travels and sappy "I miss you"s, but they were enough. McCree would write back basically whatever was on his mind.

"I wish I knew how to quit you," he'd write in almost letter, "but you're just too damn addictive."

He liked to imagine that whenever the Asian read it, he'd smile and laugh. Sometimes he'd close his eyes and picture it, but it only made his heart ache more.

"I swear, one day, I'm going to break you out of there."

"I don't doubt your abilities, but we gotta do it at the right time."

"Of course. Just tell me when, and I'll be there."

A few months passed before the southerner had a time that would work. "We're heading to Rialto for a mission in two weeks," he wrote. "We're supposed to capture this Antonio guy and bring him back for a trial. If I play my cards right, I can meet you there."

The reply he received was bubbling with enthusiasm. "That's perfect, since I'm currently in Germany. If you go undercover, we could meet up wherever you are. Hell, you might even be able to leave with me unnoticed!"

He laughed when he read the message over. "In due time, darlin'," he murmured to himself. "In due time..."

If only he knew how short that time would be cut, and how everything would start spiraling downhill thanks to a bullet from a shotgun.