Epilogue

It's been years since Overwatch fell. Seeing the recall honestly surprised Jesse.

He debated on going back, not sure what would be in it for him. In the end, he decided to go because it was the right thing to do. After the Blackwatch mission in Rialto, that's what he started basing his decisions on: whether he found it right or wrong. Technically, you could trace that back to when he freed Hanzo.

Hanzo...

The two of them hadn't been able to talk much after shit went down. Their letters soon got lost in the mail when McCree had to go into hiding. He tried to ask Genji if he had heard from him, but the ninja was too busy getting a new body and learning from his master. Eventually, he lost touch with the Shimadas altogether.

All the while, he didn't forget about the eldest one.

When he was on his way to the Overwatch base, he silently hoped he'd find them there. Besides, Genji had been a part of Blackwatch, so it was very plausible that he'd be here now.

When he saw the base looming before him, he found himself tightening his serape. While doing so, he felt something in his pocket. He paused for a moment, fishing it out.

He laid the tattered, yellow, blood-stained ribbon across his metal hand and sighed. He stared at it for a moment, before pressing a kiss to it and tying it around his wrist.

The moment he walked inside, he was greeted by familiar faces. Many of the doctors asked what happened to his arm, while the others kept the conversation lighthearted. While he was talking to Lena, he couldn't help but notice a floating omnic monk across the room. He already felt his hope growing.

"S'cuse me..." The cowboy murmured, making his way over to Zenyatta. The omnics noticed him walking over and tilted his head. "I'm assuming you're looking for Genji," he said calmly.

"That I am," Jesse purred sweetly. "But it's nice t' see you're doin' alright."

"I'm glad to see you're in good spirits as well," he replied. "Genji is by the vehicle exit. I think someone else is with him as well."

Again, he felt his chest soar. "Thank ya kindly, Zen," he said with a quick tip of his hat. Without hesitation, he started off to find him.

He saw the green lights first, then his body. It had dramatically improved since he last saw him. To his surprise, the cyborg's mask was off. They caught sight of each other and grinned. "McCree!" he cried, running over to him.

The southerner chuckled as his friend tried to tackle him to the floor. "Hold on now," he spoke loudly, hugging him back. "I'm glad to see you too, but damn."

The ninja pulled away, looking excited. "Yeah, yeah, enough with introductions. I have something to show you."

He raised an eyebrow as the Shimada dragged him along. "Alright, but it better be..." He trailed off as they walked towards a conference room. "Good..."

As soon as the door opened, his breath caught in his throat. There, sitting at the other end if the table, was Hanzo Shimada. The moment the ravenet laid eyes on him, he audibly gasped.

They sat still for a moment, processing what they were seeing. Finally, the archer stood up and darted over to him, knocking a chair over in the process. Jesse met him halfway.

The two hugged each other tightly, not even saying a word. After a few minutes, Hanzo choked out, "God, I waited so long for this..."

The brunet snickered at this. "Tell you what... The truth is... Sometimes, I missed you so much I could hardly stand it," he mumbled into the other's shoulder. He heard the Asian's disappointment sigh and grinned.

"Jesse, I've seen Brokeback Mountain a million times now. You can't just pull a line from there and except it to work."

He pulled back, looking into the Shimada's eyes. Oh, those milky, brown eyes. "Well, is it workin'?"

He rolled those beautiful eyes and a playful smile appeared on his face. "Sadly, yes." He pulled the cowboy in for a kiss. "I missed you too, sweetheart."

•~•

After their long, heartfelt reunion, the two decided to rejoin the others. There sitting against a wall, watching the others talk. As they did so, they really started to notice how much the other changed. McCree was surprised to see Hanzo's hair was longer, had some gray in it, and he had a tattoo. "I don't remember that tattoo..." he murmured, trading it with his index finger.

The Shimada just sighed. "It's a long story..." he muttered. In turn, he ran a hand up the southerners metal arm. "I'm assuming this is a long story as well?"

"That it is, doll," he purred, wrapping said arm around the other's waist. "That it is..."

The archer's eyes flashed darkly and hr glanced down. "I'm hoping the bullet had nothing to do with it..."

"Trust me..." Jesse tried to block out the violent memories that occurred the day he lost it. He clutched the yellow ribbon tightly. "It didn't."

Just then, Hanzo noticed the ribbon. He let out a quiet gasp, then quickly tried to cover it up. "I see you kept it," he said, trying to keep the excitement out if his voice.

"'Course." The brunet slipped the tattered ribbon around his lover's wrist. "What kinda boyfriend would I be if I didn't?"

He heard the ravenet chortle quietly. "Boyfriend?" His voice was playful and his eyes were gleaming. "That's awfully presumptuous of you..."

The gunslinger couldn't help buy smirk. "Well, whaddya suggest I call you instead?"

The Asian stared off into the distance. "Fiancé sounds pretty nice."

McCree's eyes widened in surprise. "You're kiddin'."

Hanzo's coffee-colored eyes shone with confidence and hidden joy. "Am I?"

The silence between them lasted only two seconds, but it felt like years. Jesse answered the question with three simple movements: A hand cupping the Shimada's neck, his lips parted, and pulling the other towards him like it was the end of the world. They ignored the quiet coos coming from their peers as they did so.

After some time, they broke apart, breathless. Struggling to get his breath back, the archer murmured, "I'm taking that as a yes?"

Laughing, the cowboy replied, "It's a hell yes, darlin'..." He pulled Hanzo in for a hug and mumbled, "In hindsight, it's always been a yes when it comes to you."

The ravenet heard him and simply hugged him tighter in response. "Aishiteimasu."

Knowing exactly what he was saying but also not, he answered, "Love you too, sugar."

•~•

And the story comes to a close. The last two chapters were a little rocky, but I'm really proud of this and I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Also! This oh-so-conveniently hit 1k reads yesterday! And for that, I thank you all so much. Now, time to bid this story adieu...

~FB667