Chapter Fourteen

The sunlight filtered through the window, casting it's light onto the bed. McCree had to squint so that he didn't blind himself. It took him a moment to process the warm body against his chest. When he looked down, he was met with a head full of black hair.

The person beside him shifted in their sleep, and he tried his best to stay still. Memories of the night before came flooding back to him and he couldn't help but smile. His gaze drifted to the digital clock behind Hanzo, and he was surprised to see it was almost noon.

"There ain't never enough time," Jesse thought, hugging the archer a little tighter. "Never enough..."

He felt the Shimada stir and glanced back down at him. He was met with a pair of brown eyes, looking up at him lovingly. "Morning..." he mumbled sleepily.

"Mornin' sleepyhead." Without giving it much thought, he pressed a kiss to the ravenet forehead. "Sleep well?"

"With you beside me, yes." He tried to slip out of the covers, but the cowboy held him in place. He chuckled quietly at this. "I'm sorry, but I have to take a shower."

The brunet looked at him with playful defiance. "Only if I can join ya."

Hanzo laughed again and leaned in, kissing him lazily. The southerner kissed back, feeling that familiar burst of electricity rush through him. It still caught him off guard, but the adrenaline was warmly welcomed.

He watched as the ravenet slipped out of bed, feeling his skin grow hot. He had failed to realize neither of them had gotten dressed yet. The other heard his breathing stop and snickered.

"What are you waiting for, cowboy?" Even though his back was turned, McCree knew there was a smile on his face. "A mating call?"

Eventually, the gunslinger followed him into the bathroom. The hot water on his back made him feel relaxed, and having the Shimada with him made him even more at peace. They shared quick kisses and quiet giggles throughout the shower, and when they got out Jesse was in a daze.

"Y'know Han, you're very distractin'."

He looked at the American curiously. "Distracting?" He was scrubbing his hair with a towel as they spoke. "That's one way to put it..."

The brunet hummed in response, trying to slip his pants on. "With you in the Arakaki, I'm never gonna get any work done."

He watched as the light faded from Hanzo's eyes and realized that was he wrong thing to say. The Asian slowly set his towel down, staring off into the distance. "The Arakaki..."

Without warning, he walked out of the bathroom, grabbing his clothes off the floor. "We have to move."

"Hold on, now," McCree murmured, following him out. "No need t' rush."

"To avoid suspicion, we do." He was frantically trying to button up his shirt. The cowboy decided not to mention it was one of his. "I was blindsided by your southern charm. The meeting must commence immediately."

"It doesn't have to," the southerner argued, pulling on his own flannel shirt. "Besides, don't we need to talk about this?"

"What's there to talk about?"

"Us!" he shouted. "Our future! We admitted last night that we're into each other."

"What's the difference? I'm to be married to the Arakaki heir. It won't work."

More than ever did Jesse want to tell him the truth. How he was with Blackwatch, that the Arakaki could care less about what he was doing, and how this was just an undercover mission to recruit him into their ranks. But he bit his tongue, because he knew saying that would cost him his job and his relationship with the Shimada. Taking a deep breath, he let his emotions do the talking.

"Who cares what the Arakaki think? We can date in secret. No one has t' know. I said it last night, and I'll say it again: I love you. And I'm not lettin' some Japanese criminals take you away from me."

He saw something flash in Hanzo's eyes. A hope, a yearning to agree with him. He never realized how persuasive he was until now, with his lover desperately trying to believe him. He heard the other sigh.

"Bottom line is..." the archer mumbled, still fumbling with his buttons. A moment later, the cowboy was standing in front of him, buttoning them for him. His face flushed and he cleared his throat before continuing.

"We're around each other and... This thing, it grabs ahold of us again... At the wrong place, at he wrong time..." He chewed in his lip, clearly nervous. "And we're dead."

McCree stared at him. He felt the words pouring out of him, not knowing where they were coming from. "I'm not gonna let that happen. If they ever do find out, we can run away together. You've been on the run for years now, so you'll know exactly what to do. I'm no gonna let anythin' happen to you, y'hear me?"

At this point, the ravenet was on the verge of tears. He pulled Jesse into a hug and whispered, "Thank you."

The gunslinger hugged him back, murmuring sweet nothing's to soothe him. He stared off into the distance, repeating his promise to Hanzo in his head. "The only question is... Will my word hold up when Blackwatch comes for us?"

They stayed like that for a few more minutes before they finally decided to leave. His unspoken question rung in his head as they left. "Let's just hope it doesn't come to that..."