Chapter Thirteen

Gabriel's eyes widened in shock as he heard the static. He stared at his microphone in equal amazement. "Did he just...?"

"Dammit!" He ripped off the headset and threw it on the table. The holographic monitors before him blinked from the impact. He glared at the headset as he stood up. After a moment, he looked away and started tapping on screens.

A face flashed up on screen. "This is Jack Morrison, commander of Overwatch. Please state your name, rank, and reason for contact."

"We don't have time for formalities, Jack!" Reyes was practically shouting at him. He watched as the blond on screen facepalmed and sighed.

"Gabe, whatever it is, it'll get taken care of eventually."

"It needs to be taken care of now," he growled. "Our next recruit, a runaway sniper with a track record of killing his own assassins, is in Hanamura, Japan. He's going to leave very soon, and we're probably going to lose track of him when he does."

The commander was looking at another monitor off screen. "Why haven't you sent a Blackwatch member after him?"

"I have. He is - or was - the only intel we had of him." He noticed a picture of Jesse on his desk and grimaced. "But now he's not following orders, so I have to take matters into my own hands."

Morrison yawned, with a look of false boredom on his face. "And what do you want me to do, exactly?"

"Send in a helicopter and some of your team to capture them," he answered coldly. "Pretend it's a rescue mission, and treat McCree like he's a hero. I'll do the scolding when he gets back."

The man on screen snickered. "Why am I surprised you sent your son on this mission..."

The Latino growled. "He's not my son."

"Oh, my bad, our son."

His face flushed as Jack smirked. "Just get it done in the next day or two."

"You got it, Reyes. Anything else?"

There was a knock on Gabriel's door. He turned around to look as it opened. He couldn't help but grin when he saw who it was. "Actually, Jack, I do have one more request for you..."

He spun back around so that he was was facing the monitors and jabbed his thumb at the newcomer. "Take Genji Shimada with you. I feel like he could benefit from this."

From behind him, he heard the Asian ask, "Benefit from what, sir?"

As the monitors blinked off, the commander walked over to him. Without thinking about the consequences, he said, "Seeing your brother for the first time in ten years. You must have a lot to talk about."

He'll never forget the look of disbelief and horror on the Shimada's face as he walked out of the conference room.