Chapter 4

The manner in which Daniel departed my apartment pissed me real off. It was literally so unmanly and childish.
And Somehow I blamed it on kechi. I really didn't want to, but the consistent need to direct the fault at her triumph over the little voice telling me not to at the back of my mind.

To say that I was moodily unbalanced throughout the night by the prospect disturbed me. That should interpret how upset and confused I was. I kept pondering over the nagging fact that it might be his girlfriend he thought not to tell me of, that he was so in a hurry to meet with. I felt cheated, smacked myself inwardly for feeling that way. He is only a guy I interacted with––twice, I tried to console myself.

I left the lecture room at three pm. Sat under the shade of a generous tree within the premises to get my strength back for my journey back to my apartment.

Taking a cab or keke was not on my budget list. I love walking the distance as part of exercise, also a habit created personally for economic reasons.

The fresh cool breeze the tree provided lulled me like a bedtime story to sleep. Or should I say I wasn't aware when I dozed off. If I had any clue that would occur, I'd have dragged myself back home to grab some nap before reading.

Startled by a sudden clearing of the throat that sounded more like guffaw, I snapped back to consciousness, erected myself half to my feet in rapt attention like a lazy fat bodyguard mistaking car-horn for gunshot.

Scowled when I noticed no danger lurking, Instead saw two guys one which I recognized to be Daniel.
The corner of my mouth twitched forming a smile. Recalling how he'd vanished the previous day, I glared.

Another booming laughter.

Daniel elbowed the guy on his rib causing his boisterous laughter to switch to "ouffff"

Reclining back to my seat on the warm grass, I smirked at him, sighed at how stupid of me to show my annoyance to someone I'm yet to fully know.

"How are you?" he said. I sighed again. His soft voice brought my grudge on him, to surface, reason being that I suspected him of using that same tone so natural and sensual with other females.

"Fine," I uttered looking away from his brown iridescent that seemed to invoke me.

"You don't look fine to me." Good for him to have noticed or I'd have bash his head to the tree.

"Why don't you tell me why, then?" I connected my eyes to his again, defiantly resisting the urge to melt under his scrutinizing stare. "You appear to know a lot lately?"

"You're upset." He nodded as if confirming something more than obvious.

"So rude of you not to introduce me to this fine girl," the guy said looking hopefully at Daniel.

I groaned involuntarily. "You don't refer to me as a girl."

"Man?" His teeth flashed down at me like a vampire hungry for blood.

"Woman." You Id..."The name is Isabella," I replied.

"Anthony." He thrusted his hand to me, I hesitated, deliberately, climbed to my feet, then accepted his peace shake. Thumped down inwardly on the urge to add pressure to it in hope of breaking bones. I really would have expedited the impel if I hadn't processed quick maths, arriving at the mental picture of my fingers breaking in fours, instead of his. It wasn't a pretty picture to entertain, so I shoved it aside snatching my hand from his.

"I'm… we are heading to the canteen. Want to join?" Daniel asked.

Yes!

That would have been my answer on a normal ground. It pained me to refuse, but I have to. Not after leaving the way in which he did. "I'm not hungry. About going home by the way?" As soon as I heard how unsure I sounded, I almost grabbed my hair from the root to give it a sharp frustrated tug.

"Alright. See you next time," Daniel said, turning back to leave.

My jaw slacked in disbelief. He didn't even pressure me into changing my mind, or explain why...

"Give us a minute." He faced me again.

"What?"

"Talking to Anthony. Wait for me in the canteen."

I muffled a sigh of relief that leaped to my throat. Anthony smiled at me before complying, adding a flirting wink.

"I am sorry about the way I left without letting you know," he said once his friend was out of earshot.

"If I don't li… know your kind of person, I would have accused you of stealing something from me," I replied with the trace of complacent.

For a heartbeat, his face darkened. Brightened immediately, maintaining his blank locution that I wondered if I'd just imagined it. "I forgot I had an appointment"

What in freaking hell do you mean by that!

I demanded in my mind forgetting he couldn't read my private conception.
"Why did you bother to show yourself at all, then?" I voiced stabbing my fists inside of my pant pocket.

"Like I said, It skipped my memory. It was important and I can't miss it for anything."

"Good for you. Have a nice day." I whirled, dived my head to the side at the last second to stop from slamming into the side of the tree. Feeling embarrassed, I marched off.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" he said after me, not thinking to stop me.

"Are you planning on dying today?" I rhetorically shouted back to his hearing over my shoulder.

"Not for me to decide. But I'd appreciate more time," he replied, So gently I almost didn't hear him.

Shrugging, I continued walking without looking back.

_____
Short chapter I know. Next might be longer.