Chapter 3

For the thirtieth time I studied myself in the mirror, making sure I was well presentable before receiving my first time visitor. Normally it wouldn't have mattered to me what I was clad in or how I looked. But as it turned out, the person I was expecting, I didn't want him to see me looking terrible.

I don't mean I'm ugly, far from it. I know I am beautiful in my own way; Moderate, 5'8 and as he'd noticed, I've got big brown eyes and pink lips. If that matters when describing.

Sweeping my accessing eyes around my one room apartment, I nodded in satisfaction. Hurried to the kitchen to check on my almost done spaghetti.

My eyes bulged when I got in and perceived a burning smell. Releasing an alien cry, I eased the pot off the stove, put out the fire.

Perfect!

Rolling my eyes at myself I opened the pot, my right hand automatically traced to my chest when I saw what's left of my spaghetti. Half of it burnt.

All my effort to create the perfect lunch wasted. I groaned in anger slamming the cover back and stomping out of the kitchen.

As soon as I was in my room, my phone rang. Without checking the ID I snapped it to my ear tentatively. Wondering why he was calling since he knew my address.

"Bell!"

I staggered slightly shifting the phone from my ear to stop it from damaging. Pissed, I glared at her displayed name. I should have checked before answering the damn call.

Huffing, I placed it back. "Are you on a mission to deprive me of my hearing aid? And how am I a bell?" I scoffed, shoving my finger to the door as if she was there to see the accusing gesture.

"Hope you cooked? I'm coming over. In fact, await for my knock right this minute," she yelled instead of the apology I was expecting. Excitement evident in her voice.

I groaned again. Opened my mouth to tell her to crawl the hell back to where she came from, then realized she'd hung up already.

I attempted calling her back when I heard the knock she'd told me to anticipate. Indignantly marching to the door, I yanked it open. "Bad timing..." The remaining rebuff died back in my throat when I saw she wasn't alone.

Why are they together...

"Hi, miss stare."

I couldn't help stop the blush that crept to my cheeks, betraying my intention to appear pissed by their showing up together.

I shut the door after they'd got in. Clenching my teeth at the back of Kechi's head since she happened to be the last to get in. Deliberately, I noticed, for reasons which I suspected her trying to check him out over again.

"You should have texted me earlier to inform me of your aim to interrupt my happy mood," I whispered behind her.

She whirled around almost running into me. To my confusion, she giggled.
And I tell you the sound of it is more annoying than that of mosquitoes dancing and singing in glee in your ear. "So you'd finish your food before I arrive?" She pouted, blinking her lashes.

I sighed. How can I not love her when she tends to soften my resolve with that facial expression of hers. I act like I hate her, but inside I enjoy her company when I'm in the mood for it.

Now, I really didn't appreciate her presence since I planned spending it with Daniel as it is his first time visiting my little home.

"You'd better not give me reason to fling you out," I growled into her ear. "Why are you with him by the way?"

"I'm more interested in replying to your empty threat. For your information, I'm sticking in here till he leaves to prevent sin from occurring."

I raised a brow, Stumped. The meaning of her words then dawned on me. I glared tersely at her. "So you think I'm... we're planning on fornicating?"

"Fornicating?"

We both turned to Daniel who was curiously staring back at me. His question lingering in the air. "I read about that in the Bible all the time," Kechi said of a sudden grinning from ear to ear.

"Yes. I know it's in the Holy book. Mind you give me one chapter and verse?"

I glanced at kechi to see the grin vanish from her face, replaced by a pained look. She obviously knew the Bible stated that too many times but she'd not for once read it.

"Um... John... um... 14-3?" She stammered.

I covered my mouth to stop from laughing. When I was sure I'd suppressed it I said. "That chapter and verse talks about Jesus telling his disciples about heaven." I smirked. "Now are you gonna take a seat and be calm before you disgrace yourself further," I whispered. Turned once more to Daniel. "Welcome to my manageable abode."

He chuckled. Sank in one of my two chairs. "This place is more than manageable. It's nice I tell you." He glanced around.

The loud sound of tromping feet attracted our attention to Kechi, directing herself to the other chair.
Her face puffed. "Is there any problem you'd need urgent intervention for?" I asked amusedly. Already suspecting the reason for her sour countenance.

"Get me a plate of spaghetti. I know that's the only delicacy you are good at."

I glared at her. "Thank you."

"You are welcome." Her grin returned making me smirk.

"Sorry to disappoint you, my pot of spaghetti__"

"Burnt," she contributed nonchalantly.

My eyes enlarged. I wasn't going to say that. I'd simply wanted to tell her I've got no pot of it!

"The smell is all over."

"What?" I sniffed the air, panicked when I confirmed it. "eer... it happens." I defended crossing my hands across my chest.

"You were busy trying to look good huh?"

Someone laughed. I did not try to wrap my head around who it was, Or would have dropped dead.

Without thinking, I grabbed her hand, dragged her with me to the kitchen. "What is the meaning of that?"

She waved me off snatching her hand from my loose grip. "I don't know what you are talking about," she replied not too innocently.

"You think I don't know that you're trying to embarrass me."

"Oh, so it hurts?" one of her brow shot up. Pressed her lips to the sides. "When I quoted, you should have left it that way. Instead you chirped joyfully at what it really says to mock me."

"Was your reply direct or a question?"

She chinned up. "Does it matter which it was?" Her food adventurous eyes travelled to the counter. She smiled brightly. "I can still have what's left, can't I?"

"Geez! You need a cure."

"Well, all the doctors I've consulted informed me that the amelioration remedy is yet to be invented. Still under research." She beamed eyeing the pot. "Now can I proceed?"

"You will wash the pot after you're done."

"Deal!" She breezed past me to my pot of partially scorched pasta.

Rolling my eyes at her, I walked out to meet an empty room.

The smile I'd plastered for him dissolved like snow under harsh sunlight. "Daniel?" Could he be in the bathroom… I stepped to the door of my bathroom and knocked. No answer.

My phone beeped with a message. Clicking the view key, I read the text:

I'm sorry for the way I left without
Informing you. In a haste to attend
to an urgent matter that was brought
to my heed. See you tomorrow.

My shoulder slumped.