Chapter 15

After choosing to get some minutes of sleep, I barely had time to dip my eyelash before the unmistakable blast of alarm shook my entire body. In anger, I smash the damn thing using a fist, a miracle it didn't break in tiny pieces as I'd desired it.

After taking a bath earlier on, I found out that the time was 5:07 a:m and not 7 as I had assumed. Do I really have to be in school today? Of course, I answered. I tried to slip off the bed, surprised to discover that I couldn't move my body. I tried once again, and this time succeeded at getting a leg off before collapsing back.

Alright, Isabella, snap yourself out of it!

I made the move again using all my strength to level myself up on my feet. Like an empty vessel, I dragged myself to my wardrobe throwing it open and picking out a black jean and red T.shirt; then made to hurl it on the bed only to stop mid air on remembering the color of the gown I was wearing in the dream. I slung it carelessly on a hanger in exchange for a white one. I was thinking of my mother, how I couldn't wait to see her in a month's time when I leave for the term holiday. Anything to pry my mind from Daniel. The entire night had been all about him. I wasn't about to sacrifice the day for him, too. He probably would be thinking about the said, Anita. Contemplating on how to explain to her how he'd ended up falling for her-that's if he hadn't already.

I threw on my clothes, moisturized my dried face with vaseline, added a bit of lip gloss, then grabbed my bag from under my makeup table on the floor and walked out.

My phone, I alerted myself.

Pushing back in, I took it from a chair I had dumped it on the night before. I clicked on the hand print button bringing the screen to life, smirked when I saw thirty missed calls and two messages all from Daniel begging me to pick up.

What the heck is wrong with him? He broke the news about loving another girl and still thinks I would be friends with him.

I added the volume of my phone, dropped it in my bag and left for lectures. The time had almost ended for the day. Many topics discussed, more ideas shared, but I did not grab any of it except for the occasional words here and there. I was glad Kechi wasn't in class to nag me of information.

Dejectedly, feeling very strangely empty and lonely, I trudged out of the hall down to the field leading to the school gate. I looked ahead to the right at the canteen, recalling the first time I met him. How blissful that had been. How amazing the feeling was.

I mustn't dwell on that for long. He just might not be the one for me. We might have been destined to be apart and never be together as a couple.

I tore my eyes from that direction and continued my way out of the gate. Suddenly, I halted as I saw a familiar figure standing in the curb obviously waiting for a transport means to the lodge. The moment I was about to look the other way and get the hell out of there, he turned his head and our eyes connected.

Involuntary smile made its way to my face. To my dumbfounded shock, I received a blank look in return. Was I mistaking? Does he happen to have a look-alike?

My questions were answered instantly as his blank look switched to a menacing glare. What the hell...

"Hey!" I shouted for him to hear before I even knew it.

He began marching away heading to the direction of the hostel. It looked like seeing me had made him change his mind to wait for a tricycle.
My curious side ignited to life. I eyed his back as he continued to move ahead and disappeared behind a two story building. I picked up my pace after him wishing to know why he gifted me with that look instead of the opposite I was expecting. I know I should have let it go, but you see, I'm a naturally inquisitive person. Always needing to know why things happen the way they did.

Getting around the building, I saw his fast now small figure getting smaller the more distance he put between us. Realizing that walking wouldn't get me faster to him, I charged and ran down the sloppy road. The more length I covered, the more I got closer to him.

"Stop, you," I said between gushes of breath waving a hand.

He did not stop, rather added the speed of his walk. "If you don't stop-" I began what I was forming to be a threat, when he stopped and turned to gaze at me.

"What do you want?" he asked.

My jaw, which had been hanging open all the while as I ran, dropped to the ground. Picking it back up, I shot him my own glare. "And that is supposed to mean...?"

I heard him sigh. "You shouldn't have followed me."

"I wouldn't have if you hadn't looked at me in such a rude manner," I retorted-then-I noticed it; his eyes were red indicating he'd been crying all too hard recently. Dark circles swallowed his eyes into its depth. I gulped, confused. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah...perfectly fine. You may leave."

Something in his voice, not only was it not steady but filled with sadness, gripped my interest the more. "You've been crying, and why?"

"Do I look like-"

"You don't have to deny it. It's as vivid as daylight."

His Adam's apple moved up and down spiking my curiosity the more. "Talk to me...where is Daniel?" I dared to ask.

"Chilling in a place he wouldn't want you to be." His voice was cold and frosty. He stared me dead in the eye. "You weren't picking his calls, why?"

"Trying to return my question for-"

"Answer me."

I glared some more. "Don't talk to me that way," I snapped. "What has come over you, Anthony. Where is Daniel?"

"You seriously want to see him? After taking off last night like your pants were on fire just because...You know what, come with me."

I wanted to demand how he knew about my action last night, but changed my mind. Silently, I fell in step after him as he walked back the way to the road. My brows drew even closer when he waved down a cab gesturing for me to hop in. Giving him a once over to ascertain what he was doing and taking me to, I got in and the door closed when he climbed in beside me.
After what I roughly checked to be thirty minutes of drive, we got down and to my surprise, blinked at the Inscription at the top of the tall building.

Again, without word, he motioned with his head for me to proceed into the building. Without delay, I obeyed, now consuming in curiosity and the beginning of fear.

"What are we doing in a hospital?" I whisper-yelled at Anthony nudging him with my elbow. If I was expecting a reply, he gave none.

We took a corner leading to the flight of stairs. My heart began pounding. Was Daniel knocked by a car on his way back? Fell ill?

"Whatever you see-" Anthony's words were cut off by a sharp blood-curdling scream that shook the foundation of the building.

My eyes widened in search for the source, and when I finally located it, my heart stopped.