Chapter 14

A radiant smile plastered itself on my face on taking the full length of my reflection in the tall mirror in front of me. Gently, I traced my fingers down the fluffy red dress marrying my body. To be frank, I was dressed to kill coupled with the silver stiletto adding a few inches to my height. But then again, the reason for the all classy outfit was blank to me. I searched my mental file for any clue like a victim of a memory loss battling to recall about the past. As I did so, I gawked at myself also trying to pry out any hint of information from my reflection.

My phone rang, distracting myself from the investigation; I reached for it on the table where it was sat and placed it to my ear. The moment I heard the voice at the other end, my heart leaped. Butterflies swam in excitement in my stomach. Memories came flowing back. My smile intensified recalling Daniel invited me to a family house opening occasion scheduled to take place in the next one hour, and forty minutes.

"I'm at your doorstep," he informed, his sensual voice boomed shaking my very core. Unable to resist setting my eyes on him as I'd been so meaning to, I snatched my silver purse resting on the table situated beside the mirror. Sparing just a milli-second to wink at myself for a job well done on my makeup before sauntering to the door and throwing it open.

The moment I did, I regretted it. Standing and staring right back at me was Daniel. But that wasn't the issue; the girl beaming also at me like a rat caught stealing a piece of meat, destroyed my happy mood. Simultaneously, I recognised her to be the one I saw with him within the premises of the library.

"Hey..."

"Hey, there."

We both said at the same time.

"Hi, Isabella," he spoke again after throwing out a nervous chuckle. Oh, yes, he should not only be nervous, also feel stupid of himself for bringing a girl to my house––door, actually, because I wasn't letting her further her tiny legs into my room.

"Isabella, meet my girlfriend, Anita. Anita..."

I slammed the door to their faces without a heartbeat hesitation. Blocking out any more torturing words he was set to finish. My legs, which had been as strong as iron, felt like jelly from under me. I grabbed the doorknob as the nearest thing to support my weight and not fall in a heap on the floor.

Why would he come along with her, introduce her to me when he had invited me to the party as his date for the evening?

I blinked my eyes rapidly to hold back tears from raining down my cheeks in rapid motions.

"Isabella?" he called, knocking twice on the door.

My lips trembled in subjection to my disrupted emotion as I tried to speak. How hard was it for him to know that I was the one truly in love with him. There was no tiny trace of affection in her eyes. And she tried to cover that up with her fake smile. Still, I saw the truth beneath it.

Words of a jealous lonely person, a voice in my head, scoffed.

"Will you shut up!" I fired back urgently.

"Shut up? C'mon, Isabella, what's wrong__"

"I wasn't talking to you, you a... Why am I even replying." I huffed pushing my back against the door.

"Isabella. Open the door, I'm not done talking."

"Go away, Daniel. And never return. I don't wish to have to listen to the crap you are determined to say while looking at you. Do make certain you scoop along your pretty little babe," I growled to the shock of my ears.

"I have to explain something very urgent and important to you. Please, open the door."

"Not even in your weirdest dream," I snapped pushing uselessly harder against the door as though preventing him from succeeding with that girlfriend of his. The very presence of her irritated me to no end and back.
________________

"Isabella, wake up."

My lips curled in disgust and confusion. I offered no reply to that, all the way constraining tears threatening to spill.

"You have to wake up. Right now, Isabella."

My patience toppled over the roof. "What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped curiously.

"It hurts me to see you this way even in your dreams."

The bridge of my nose wrinkled in annoyance. "If that is your well thoughtful planned procedure to get me to open my door for the both of you, I suggest you craft another," I hissed.

"Isabella, I..."

"What?"

"WAKE UP!"

_____________

I jerked half of my body off the bed panting hard. My chest rising and falling swiftly. I squinted my eyes to adjust them to the plain darkness. When it finally did, I lay down on the bed. The experience I had in my dream seemed like reality. The episode that spurred it cracking back like a molten lava. I turned to the left to chase off the thought that it didn't work. Spunned to the right, same futile result; instead of volunteering a distraction, it added to the velocity. Giving it up, I got off the bed finding my way to the bulb switch between the window and the door. Electrical light flashed all through my room. The first thing my eyes casted upon was the mirror. Slowly, as if preparing for an attack from it, I closed up the gap stopping when I took clearer sight of myself; my hair in tangled mess all erected at all directions. My eyes, which had been the most attractive aspect about my physical self, was as crimson and bulging as a red balloon. It stung so badly I closed my eyes to reopen it again a few moments later. What I saw snaked on my face caused me to get closer; dried outline of tears wove from under my dark eye bag, down to my chin.

Then, I remembered the hours I had spent curled up on my bed weeping to sleep and how almost futile that had been. Deciding that I'd had enough of the reflection examination, I stumbled to the bathroom to carry out my morning routine of brushing my teeth and having a shower. When done, I wiped my face clean using a blue towel, but not the red bloodshot eyes that promised to hang on as long as it possibly could. I didn't know whether to burst into tears all over again or force myself to pretend no rejection had ever taken place.

There and then, I vowed to never have anything to do with Daniel again. Avoid him at all cost like the love plague he was. Cut off from going to places I know I might see him. If possible, fill my mind with the thought of a better brighter tomorrow.

-------------------------
The story is coming to an end. Maybe a chapter, and an epilogue. 😥