Chapter 6

Daniel, left me hanging. So many questions I needed to ask without the courage to. I tried to understand; to find good reason for his confession the previous day. All that I ended up giving myself was heart ache.

Might he have been heartbroken––vow to never trust again, to never fall in love. That's the only tangible excuse.

I stayed for what seem like ages in the student eaterie, waiting patiently for him to walk in through the door. I decided to give him some reasons why the past must be considered as such, without that, I see no future in our relationship. He appeared to care for me in his own strange way. Not in the way I wanted.
I desire to be more than a friend to him, someone to confide in, someone to share intimacy with... maybe someone to spend forever with.

I dumped the will to continue in self denial. I already know what I wanted and out to get it. It doesn't matter how hard or difficult it will prove, I see all I want in a partner in him. Even Much more.

I felt disappointed when he didn't show up. We did not make plans to see, but I'd hope he would drop by. I tried to turn on my phone for the thirtieth time, it vibrated and still indicate no sign of coming to life. I slipped it back into my cardigan pocket. Stood and made dejectedly out of the canteen.

I gave a quick glance at my wrist watch and realize it wasn't yet time for me to go home. I decided to go to the library to check some books before heading home.

Saying my brief greetings to the librarian, I marched to the second stack of both old and new books. Smiled when my finger traced past my favourite history book.

After checking the titles and settling for non, I moved to the next, and began searching for something juicy and entertaining. My eyes caught a particular one titled: Half of a yellow sun, by Chimamanda. A book that details about Biafra war that occurred from 6, July 1967 and ended on 15, January 1970. I'd heard so much about the book and was glad to finally get to read it.

Taking it out of the shelf, I completed the necessary requirement with the curator, thanked him and walked out. Stopped few feet away from the library when I sighted two figures on a bench, talking and laughing.

I squinted my gaze at them, at first thinking it to be an illusion that will disappear once I get it right. I wasn't prepared for the emotion that presented itself inside if me.

My lips curled at its own accord, my nails dug into the book. Forcing myself out of the stance, I hurried away. Putting as much distance as I can to the two individuals having a great time. All touchy and displaying affection.

I waited for hours for him. Delayed from leaving the premises so I would talk to him; well, I did see him. Enjoying his free time with another female.

I've never encountered jealousy, the feeling was an entire new thing for me. But once I felt it, I already knew what it was.
So bad an emotion knowing that the first man I got to have an interest in, lack the stake to reciprocate. My eyes glinted with sudden tears of rage so sharp I hoped he was standing in front of me to let it slice at him.

"Hey, I thought you'd left already?"

I halted to look at, kechi closing the gap between us. I quickly nictitate back tears, stretching my mouth forming a forced smile. "Hey, hi."

She didn't respond as she came closer to me. "You look like you're about to shed some tears."

"You must be exaggerating."

"Yeah, right. I need some books to keep busy from the library. You coming from there?"

"As you already noticed." I raised the novel to show it to her.

"You've got the balls to read that? I tried it once and I couldn't finish it. Cried the entire time," she said taking her gaze off the book too quickly.

"I've got to read it. The way we take in things differs. I already heard the storg countless of times from my grandfather who also fought in the war. I need to read another version of it."

"Hmm... If you say so. How are you preparing for the exam?"

"As usual."

"How about your crush?" She winked.

I sucked sprightly in a greedy way. "I don't have any crush."

"Maybe 'secret attraction' will be the ideal term." She grinned.

"Have no clue what you talking about."

"I bet you will when you see who's coming right behind you..."

I jumped around, my heart in my throat. Clenched my teeth upon seeing no one but, empty road. "You think that's funny." I turned back to her.

"Thought it to be. The way you reacted is not at all... I see you like... love him."

"What, who?"

Kechi, rolled her eyes. "Daniel, of course. If you deny it, I will shoot my shot."

Swiftly, I hid my disgust, appeared nonchalant. "Goodluck with that."

She laughed. "No need to pretend, Isabella. By the way I think he is not into any woman."

"You mean he is not straight?" I glared at her.

"I didn't say that. He wouldn't settle for that, I know it. What I mean is, he doesn't have a girlfriend."

"You don't know anything about him." I frowned, pissed off. I wanted to tell her to go to the library right away and confirm it for herself that he indeed is in a relationship. Saying that would give me away for my pretence, so I simply shot up a hand for silence when she tried to defend her claim. Shouldn't I be suspicious that maybe she'd tried wooing him and failed...

Choosing not to think that, I waved her off. "I'm tired and need to go home."

"Alright. See ya tomorrow."

We bade each other goodbye and went our separate ways. In my mind, arranging thousands of ways to murder, Daniel.