Chapter 13

🌟Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want🌟

Cold air hit me so hard I shivered. It wasn't exactly harmattan season, but the chilly breeze blowing about surpassed that of the winter weather. It was too much, made me deliberate if It all was resonating inside of me.

"We need to take a cab," Daniel said, shoving his hands inside of his pants pocket. I looked over him to know how he was coping with the cold. The look on his face, and his unwavering posture as we continued ahead told me I was the only one experiencing that.

"We need more exercise to burn off the calories we consumed," I replied before I would even think of it.

"You've got the strength of ten." He pulled out a hand and for a moment, thought he wanted to reach for me, not until he rubbed his chest as though soothing down a burn.

"I love walking all the time. It helps take my mind off things that I shouldn't be thinking about." I admitted, indirectly hinting him of my overflowing emotion. It was so much that I found it hard to contain it further.

"Mind you tell me about it?"

As I took a good look at him to know if he was serious about that, even in the mild darkness slowly covering the city, I dictated the amusement glinting in his beautiful eyes. I stiffened. How long could I go on before bursting it out for his thick head to know?

You wouldn't dare...

I cut off the musing suspending whatever answer that had begun forming at the back of my mind. Then, an idea struck. He'd never told me much about himself. I might begin from there, and afterward he'd feel compelled into letting me know about his love for me. Love-I shook my head absentmindedly directing my mind to the question I had been meaning to ask him.
"Tell me about yourself: family, friends...dog, if you've got any."

"Hmmm, nothing interesting about me. You might want to gist me of yours, instead."

"Don't be a hard nut to crack, Daniel. You tell me in peace, or in pieces," I threatened jokingly. We both laughed. I was stunned at how that helped ease me a bit. Now knowing the antidote of keeping my mind from wandering off again, I added. "What was it like growing up?"

Silence ensured. Its wall was so tall and broad I felt it. Maybe it wasn't all fun when growing up, I reasoned. Or did he have an unsettled issue with his parents that completely changed his mood? "Look, Daniel, you really don't have to answer that."

"Hey, give me a minute to recall before narrating it to you. Too many tales to tell you about myself that can last for two day. Quite a lot of happy memories, and...yeah, give me a minute." He frowned in engrossment. In the same spur of the moment, he worked his fingers through his clean trimmed hair. "I don't know where to start from. Why don't we leave the topic for another day, as you already know, there isn't much time to discourse."

"Do you make a habit of invading important talks," I said tightly, cautiously.

"I create time for everything I do. That has enabled me to be the person I am. Don't take it the wrong way. Nothing to hide about me, I just don't feel like sharing it right away because there are many things to learn."

Somehow, I discerned sense in what he'd said. And I realized I loved that aspect of him as much as I do every other thing about him. However, I was dying to know what he'd promised to tell me back in the restaurant. Only then can I find true peace. Soon, by the presence of an old building, which is recalled by the information I got from a neighbor of mine when I first relocated to the area, said to have been a hundred years old. Built before the war. I realized we were close to my home. With Daniel, an hour counts as a minute, and a minute, a second. I was never aware of the surroundings whenever we were together. That explains why I was oblivious as to when we'd almost reached my apartment from a distance of an hour.

Street lights illuminated; beautifying the environment-adorning the oldest house, that in daylight, stood as a haunted house housing thousands of night creatures. I didn't want the day to end all too soon, but I'd have to say a goodnight.

"Isabella?"

I shivered inside. The way he'd mentioned my name like a distressed soul to have caused it. I stopped walking and turned to face him. My door three pace away. Did he want to tell me-feel the time is right, the questions bombarded in my head.

"Do you have three minutes to spare?"

"Sure, anything," I said over him. His eyes danced around in what I read to be worry. Like he was afraid and anticipating something jumping on him anytime. I held my breath; waiting-patiently more than I had exercised in a long time.

"About what I want to tell you. You see, its been on my mind for a very long time."

Oh my, that's it. After the long wait.

"Go ahead," I urged when he paused.

"We've been friends for a while, now. You are really good. And after thinking a thousand times about it, I decided you are worth… I-I don't know how to say this to you. I have never been in a situation that rendered me speechless and a stuttering mess… please, understand that I couldn't stop myself from… Damn! Isabella." His arm shot up to make a grab for me, and at same time dropped back. He balled his hand, making it obvious his vulnerability and how hard he was fighting to overcome his lack of confidence. It was almost a pity to watch him do so. I had to caution myself not to close up to him and seal my lips to his. To make him realize that I knew about his feelings, and that I felt the same, too, and wish to practicalize all that I had missed doing to him. Now that he'd come to term with admitting, I did as much as I could not to ruin it.

Then, just like that, I noticed his eyes glint with liquid. My eyes narrowed at its will. Brows drew together. Was it too much that he abandoned his manliness to spill some tears. I felt my own eyes water, too. Just say the words, Daniel.

He blinked his eyes, and it was gone. "I-I-I love-"

Yessssssssss

I shut my eyes, too happy to keep them open. "Y-you w-what?" I stammered.

"I'm in love with-"

I opened my eyes, raising my hands slowly to get a grip of his. "Really, Daniel?"

"Yes. I'm in love with Anita."

"Seriou...wait, what?" My mouth hangs open. The smile that had earlier appeared on my face vanished. "Who is Anita?"

"A course mate of mine. I don't know how to reveal it to her, so I thought to confide in you first as my good friend. I need your advice."

Earlier, it had been tears of joy, now it was that of anger, disappointment, bitterness. How could he? I closed my eyes to force the tears trying to float to my cheeks. When I opened them, it was as dry as a sahara desert. "And you think I can help you talk to her on your behalf? To let her know you can die for her? Love her till eternity?" I nodded as I completed, glaring at him. "What do you take me for? Your messenger or what!?" I yelled. Getting a knowledge of what I was doing all too soon, I swallowed hard. "Daniel, you can go tell her yourself. Ain't you a man? I don't know her by the way." I turned to make a run for my door, because I couldn't hold my emotion no more.

"Are you pissed off?"

It saddened me that he didn't know I was. Which showed he didn't care one bit about me. Suffering in silence only to end up with nothing. I laughed sadly, my eyes watering again. "No, I'm not. Why'd I?"

"I don't know?"

"Aye, you wouldn't. If you sincerely love her, go tell her and torture yourself no more. You might be lucky, some aren't." I took two steps back. "Good night, Daniel. I wish you all the best with her." Whirling, I practically kicked open my door, slamming it shut behind me with my full length, blocking the sound of his voice calling for me to stop. So broken, it sounded, the pain of knowing the reason behind it tore out the uncontrollable sob balling to my throat. He loved her, so much it hurt him. I loved him, so much it tore me apart. How comforting.