Chapter 5

I tried. I really tried to concentrate. But the more I fight to achieve that significant aim, the more I get lost in my thoughts.

I was excited when class finally drew to an end. Dusting inexistent particles from my behind, I slung my backpack and waltz out, my eyes searching for that one person that had kept my mind busy.

Reading this story, some would categorize me as annoying. Even possessive. Or worst, desperate. As for me, it is simply attraction.

I headed for the canteen with partially the intention of meeting him. He had the habit of grabbing quick eatables before leaving for the day, as I. But half way, I stopped abruptly. A tiny voice dominate over the whiny one nagging that I Should.

Maybe, if I avoid seeing him for days, he might realize his feelings... feelings for what?

I rolled my eyes snorting at myself. Snapped out of my trance when I heard someone giggle.
Turning my head to the direction, two females had their hands to their mouth stopping what obviously showed to be laughter.

"She's crazy," one of them whispered to the other, giggling.

"We better get away from her before she practise her madness on us." The other contributed hurrying toward the opposite direction.

I rocked on my toes and back; experiencing geyser of irritation, much directed to me than to them.

"Don't mind the bullies."

I jumped, startled. Whirled back so sharply that I almost broke my neck at the process.
"Really? Have you the habit of sneaking on people?" I snapped, deliberately adding volume to my voice to hide the sound of my heart pounding from both surprise and elation.

"You've been standing here under the sun for ten minutes."

"Don't you know that sun provides vitamin D?" I said.

"I don't think you need much of that. You'll end up giving yourself a headache. Now tell me what you were thinking?"

"Like I said__"

"Suit yourself," he interrupted. "Are you going to the refectory?"

"Changed my mind." I shrugged.

"Well... alright. You can call me Fredrick."

My brow quirked in confusion. My eyes slitted, then widened. "Oh! Hi, fed-fredrick. I was thinking... I mean, nice talking to you." I turned toward the gate and marched quickly away, ignoring his request for my name.

Like what is wrong with me now, I thought, slapping my palm to my forehead. Not only do I keep imagining him, I now see his face on other's. Am I finally demented?
It's about time you snap out of whatever dream you'd been sucked into. Otherwise you're going to create a scene that shall warrant you to be dumped in a mental home.

Alighting out of the cab, I ran into my room. Threw my bag on the bed and pulled out my manuscript to add more words to it as I do on a daily basis. The only endeavour that get me to concentrate.

I dropped the book on the table and sat on a chair. Closed my eyes briefly to chase away my distractions and invite my creativity and envision scenes.

Smiled when it flooded into my head like crystal pure water gushing from a rock down to the stream. I resumed writing. As fast as I can, knowing I have an hour to do so before reading my book for my upcoming exams.

Stared at the door when I heard a knock, followed by another. I wasn't expecting anybody. And naturally, I don't normally have constant visitors.

Too overwhelmed with my story, I gave an order for whoever it was to come in. Which I knew was a very careless thing considering it could be criminals.  I wasn't thinking that at that moment.

My breath caged in my throat as I saw who walked in. Could it be another product of my imagination? "Daniel?"

"Is there two Daniels in your life?" He smirked; his very customized cocky expression that confirmed the reality and not madness.

"You didn't tell me you were coming," I said breathlessly. His powerful simple aura knocking the composure out of me.

"Term it as surprise." He winked. I motioned for him to seat on the chair three feet from me. Still, I felt his closeness.

"What are you engaged in?" he asked straining to look at the book.

"Novel," I replied shifting my gaze back to my work, suddenly feeling so aware of my writing.

"You didn't tell me you were a writer and an aspiring author. Can I have a look?"

My heart skipped. I compressed my lips so tightly to hide the smile of happiness kicking it's way to surface. Felt good about his interest in my ongoing project. It meant more than a lot to me.

Without delay, I handed him the heavy hard cover book, nervously.
"Your critiques would be appreciated," I said to him truthfully.

"How many words are you planning on putting down?"

"One hundred thousand or more. Depends."

"And how many have you written?"

"Uhm... About Sixty-seven thousand."

He nodded going through the first page. "Brilliant title you've got," he commented turning the next page. With that, I noted him to be a fast reader.

"Let me go prepare something nice in the kitchen, while you busy yourself with my boring tale."

"I get the sarcasm," he mumbled not raising his head to spare me a glance.

As I turned to go to the kitchen, I halted when he said, "love is a magnificent emotion that favours some, and ruin some."

"W-why did you say that?" I stuttered.

"Some enjoy it, some don't." He looked at me. I kept mute this time waiting for him to tell me his reasons for sounding like he didn't believe in that strong feeling that can soften the hardest of heart, make one do the unthinkable, hypnotize one into breaking all boundaries just to be with that special someone. Would he understand, without judging, if I open up to him what meeting with him had been doing to me?

When he didn't say anything, I moved closer to him. "Have you ever fall in love?"

"Nope. And not planning on doing that anytime soon."

I didn't know why that is, but something painful stabbed at my heart. "Love is not an emotion you plan for or await. It hits at its own leisure like Karma at queerest time you do not expect."

"You sound like you've experienced the damnedest attraction." The corner of his mouth twisted in what seemed to be: curiosity, mild unspoken rebuttal.

I tore my gaze from him. Grateful for my brown skin or I'd have been red in the face. "It is required by the force of nature for each and every individual to experience it in a life time."

"You must excuse the 'require' for it is not in anywhere written. Most people till they take their last breath, don't."

I didn't want him to see how his words hurt me. And also my dissapointment that he wasn't returning my secret affection for him. Forcing a shrug and a weak smile, I made for my kitchen.

*****************************
Do click the vote button.😌

*****************************
Do click the vote button.😌