2

A month after Esther began her prayer fast; her prayers were becoming more and more frequent. She had to get a new prayer journal because her prayers were getting longer, too. Esther was so motivated in her prayer times that there were days when she couldn't wait to pray. She would pray in her head no matter where she was, or what she was doing. Most of all, Esther felt in her heart that, maybe, One Direction would come to Christ. Maybe she wouldn't see it happening, but with God, she knew nothing was impossible.

It was Wednesday evening and Esther was working in the ticket booth at the movie theater. She knew it would be late when she got off work, so she brought her journal with her so that she could take a few minutes to write down her prayer when she had a free moment. Esther's co-worker, David, was working with her in the booth. If David hadn't been working that night, Esther would've gone a bit crazy with the physical solitude.

"Wednesday," David said, leaning back in his chair. "Ladies' Night or not, it's still slow."

"You can say that again," Esther said, but then slapped her hand over his mouth. "Just an expression."

He rolled his green eyes, but she could feel his jaw shaking with laughter. David was a very humorous kind of guy, always cracking jokes.

"Ewww!" Esther exclaimed, yanking her hand away. "David, you're so gross!"

"Serves you right," David said, laughing as she wiped her hand on his sleeve.

"You didn't have to lick my hand!"

He grinned and turned to attend to a group of girls. Esther smiled and pulled her phone out of her pocket, to tweet what had just happened. She had fifty notifications Lucy retweeting One Direction's tweets. One of the tweets was Louis'.

It said: @Louis_Tomlinson: Not feeling too well, might not be able to sing the next song.

Without thinking, Esther sent him a message.

She wrote: God bless you, Louis. I hope you get better. Please tell the other boys that you are all in my prayers. Take care, Esther.

As soon as Esther was finished, she put her phone away and forgot all about it.

Around an hour later, Esther was taking a break. She had done a short prayer while in the bathroom, but she planned to make a longer prayer when she got home. Esther then took out her phone because it had rung several times while she was in the booth. There weren't any missed calls or text messages, just six new Twitter notifications. She had five new followers and a new message. The five followers were the members of One Direction. The message was from Louis, a reply to her message from earlier. Esther hadn't expected for him to reply, much less the band follow her.

The message said: Esther, thank you so much for your message. I've been receiving messages and tweets in the past two hours, but none of them stood out like yours did. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We've been going through some hardships lately, and it's been really tough on us, especially Harry. Thank you again, Louis 'Tommo' Tomlinson.

Esther sighed; there was pain behind Louis' message. She could sense what he was feeling. Compassion came over her as she started back to the ticket booth. She immediately whispered a special prayer for Louis, not even bothering about her journal.

Lord, I lift up Louis, wherever he is right now. You see him in his situations, You know his hardships. I ask that You give him strength, right now. Give him peace. Give them all strength and peace. I thank you in advance, Heavenly Father. Thank Lord Jesus, amen.

The next morning, when Esther woke up, she dedicated a full hour of prayer time, not just for the boys of One Direction, but also for her family and friends, and anything else that came to her heart. This prayer was one of her deepest groaning; she was on her knees, and not using her prayer journal. When Esther was finished, she was in tears.

"Poor boys," she said as she wiped her eyes.

Esther was the type of girl who would really stop to think about others and their needs, or struggles. She was feeling a strange urge to go to One Direction and tell them about Jesus Christ. She wanted to tell them about His love and mercy. Then Esther knew that she had to do it, that the Holy Spirit was leading her to do so. She pulled out her suitcases and began to rummage through her clothes.

"I'll probably be there for a while," she said, gathering together her toiletries. "I'd better let the bosses know."

Esther called Blockbuster and the movie theater, letting them know that she was going to be out of town, that she would e-mail them the length of her absence. Once that was done, she packed her small carry on with her Bible and her laptop, and anything else she might need on the plane. While she packed her suitcases, she called her parents to let them know where she was going.

"But England?" her mother asked with curiosity.

"I can feel the Lord's leadership to go there," Esther replied, "I'm packing enough clothes for however long I might be there. I don't know, but God's will be done."

"Amen," her father said, "that's the thinking. Well, you've truly grown up, Esther. May God watch over you and protect you. And be on your guard."

"Thank you; and I will."

"God bless you, sweet pea."

"God bless you, too."

Esther sighed as she hung up. Moving into her own apartment was a big step she took. Going to a different country was a foreign subject to Esther, but she was full of determination. She knew that God would be with her, she knew that He would not fail her.

As Esther waited for her flight to board the next morning, she read Proverbs 20 in her Bible. It was encouraging to read.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

Esther looked up to answer and found David standing over her with a grin.

"David, what are you doing here?" she asked as he sat beside her.

"I went by to see you," he replied, holding up a Crunch chocolate bar with a pink ribbon. "I wanted to say bye before you left."

"How did you kow I was even going anywhere?" she took the chocolate and fiddled with the ribbon.

"Your parents came by the theater last night. I asked about you and they told me you were leaving in the morning. When I was just getting to the gate, I saw you coming out in the taxi."

"So," Esther said, "you followed me here. David, are you feeling OK?" She touched his forehead as if checking for fever.

"I feel fine," he replied, rasing an eyebrow and chuckled. "Why do you ask?"

"Because you never do stuff like this-" she held up the chocolate "-bringing me chocolate, following me someplace. Is there a particular reason you did this? Is there something you're not telling me? You're not dying, are you!?"

David laughed and ran his fingers through his black hair. Esther knew him well enough to know that he didn't this when he was nervous. She was about to press him when they called out her flight number. She stood, shoving the chocolate into her bag, with her Bible. David stood as well; he looked like he wanted to cry, his expression was distressed.

"Take care of yourself," he said with disappointment. "You're going to be missed down here."

Esther smiled "I'll miss you too," she said, hugging him briefly.

As she passed through security, she kept looking back at David. He stood watching, with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders all hunched over. She turned to wave one last time, she felt as if she would never see him again. He was a good friend.

"I'll be here when you get back," she heard him shout right as she went through the gate.

"If I'm led to come back," she whispered to herself.