eighteen | A MIXTURE OF YELLOW & RED

ISABELLA WATCHED THE TAUNTING DONUTS ON THE TABLE, her mouth watering. Barbara had already told her she wasn't allowed one, because it was unhealthy, but it felt like she was given the ultimate dilemma.

Dopkins, Greenwood, Aaron, Jerome and Isabella were all sat around the table, when Theo came down the stairs.

"Fine job yesterday, gentlemen," he said, lifting up the magazine to show the title 'MANIAX MASS MURDER'. Luckily, Isabella was too busy staring at the donuts.

"We opened big," Theo continued. "The whole city knows your name now. So, bravo. Let's give ourselves a round of applause."

Jerome boringly clapped, along with Greenwood, while Aaron carried on with his donut. Dopkins clapped a lot more enthusiastically, causing Isabella to giggle and join in. He laughed back with her, making a pang of jealously hit Jerome.

"Now that we have Gotham's attention, it's time for the Maniax to make a grand entrance."

"Wasn't that it?" Jerome objected with a smirk.

"That was the overture. Now the audience is hushed, expectant. The curtain rises..."

"Then what happens?" Jerome asked, for some reason actually really interested.

"Oh, then we confront Gothamites with their most primal fears," Galavan replied, placing his hands on Jerome's shoulders. "Take from them all they hold dear and sacred."

"And then what happens?" He pushed, grinning from ear to ear.

"Why, then we offer them salvation. And then they are ours."

"Let's get busy, man," Greenwood suggested, taking a bite out of his donut.

"Patience. First, you gentlemen need to learn a little stagecraft."

"Stagecraft?"

"You're going to be on TV. You have to present yourselves with style and vigour," Theo told them.

"What, they're going to be famous?" Isabella questioned with a smile, for the first time understanding what Theo was talking about.

"You too, kiddo," Jerome chuckled, tapping her nose with his finger.

Theo turned to Arnold, "Dopkins, say 'Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.'"

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen," he parroted back, in a monotone voice.

"Again, with a smile."

Dopkins forced a smile, but said it again, in the exact same voice.

"You," Theo sighed, pointing at Greenwood who cleared his throat before loudly speaking.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!"

Jerome rolled his eyes in Isabella's direction, faking a yawn. She laughed under her breath, placing a hand to her mouth.

"Not bad. Sinister and authoritative," Theo nodded, and looked and Aaron, who blinked back stupidly. "Never mind... Jerome."