thirty one | A LITTLE PINCH OF KINDNESS

ED LEANED OVER OSWALD WITH A SMILE ON HIS LIPS, "Hello, sleepyhead."

Oswald almost instantly gasped, shivering in shock, as he helped out, "Wh-Where am I? Where's the girl?"

"Rapid movement and elevate heart rate are counterproductive to the healing progress," Ed explained as if he was a robot, before picking up a syringe, scaring Oswald even more.

"Don't kill me-!"

"Apologies in advance."

Oswald groaned as the needle made contact with his neck, a cold feeling washing over him as he began to blackout.

"Rest up my feathered friend. We have a big night ahead of us."

"What are you doing, Eddie?" A small voice asked from behind, and Ed turned to see Isabella, one hand rubbing her tired eyes and the other holding onto a teddy bear while wearing a long nightgown, both of which he had bought her on their risky trip back to his apartment.

Ed almost instantly hid the needle in the back of his pocket, knowing her past with them, and kneeled down in front of her with a small grin.

"I was just telling him a bedtime story so that he could sleep better. I think it worked quite well."

"Can you tell me one, please?" She questioned, and at first Ed hesitated, but couldn't bring himself to say no. He tucked her in the makeshift bed of blankets and pillows, sitting down beside her.

And then Ed, even though if anyone saw it he would completely deny it, told the young girl a story about all the animals he could think of. Right from the hyena to the penguin. By the end of it, she was fast asleep.

〰〰〰〰

Oswald woke up for the second time that night, after falling unconscious once again. But this time, it was because of the sounds of muffled grunting.

He lifted his head from the covers, to see a man strapped to a chair, a bag over his head. Even after Ed had explained he was murdering people, Oswald was still shocked to see the tied up man in front of him.

Ed smirked, standing up from behind the poor man, "Ta-da!"

He excitedly laughed, while Oswald put on a straight face, "Where's Isabella and who's that?"

"Ah, Isabella is fast asleep, don't you worry. But, this is Mr Leonard," Ed said cheerfully. "You were talking in your sleep last night about Galavan killing your mother."

"I was?"

"Yes. Mr Leonard works for Galavan. Oh, before he was arrested, of course."

"Arrested?" Os repeated.

"Detective Gordon arrested Galavan for kidnapping Mayor James. He's in Blackgate."

"... Huh."

"Oh. I thought you'd be pleased."

Penguin sighed, "It doesn't matter anymore... Why is he here?" He nodded towards the still whimpering man.

"He was a gift for you."