thirty eight | BETRAYAL

ED NYGMA FELT HIS HANDS SWEAT, as he looked up from the machine, the earpiece pressed again his ears, to glance at Jim.

"Yes," he admitted, "it does sound like a bird. And he's doing his best to mask his voice. It's too bad the quality's so poor." Ed winced, "Uh, well, I'm afraid it's a dead end."

"We should at least clean the tape."

"Right," Ed said, gritting his teeth as he pressed a button on the machine, before standing up. "You need some more tea... So, the person who killed Pinkney and framed you, is the same person that attacked the art museum and planted the bomb in the train station."

Jim just nodded, not finding the energy to speak.

"Amazing. And you don't have any leads?"

"I think Loeb was behind it. Payback. He still has lackeys in the G.C.P.D."

"Is that so?"

"Everything points to a cop. Or someone who worked with the police, had access," Gordon explained, which caused a worried Ed to accidentally drop one of his cups into the sink, creating a loud clatter.

"You alright, Ed?"

"Right as rain," he lied, nodding. "Just thinking. Surely, you don't think that Loeb killed Pinkney himself?"

"No. He had some psychopath do it for him."

Ed paused his movements, turning to face Jim, "Psychopath seems a strong word."

"He bludgeoned a man to death with a crowbar in cold blood. He's sick."

"You say that, yet, you've killed lots of people, haven't you?"

Jim held back a slight glare, "That was in the line of duty."

"And a person who would kill in cold blood is a psychopath. See, I-I knew the rumours weren't true."

Jim rose up from his chair, "What rumours?"

"About you killing Galavan. You would never do that. That would make you like the people that you're hunting. Sick. Diseased." The kettle whistled loudly behind them, and Ed smiled innocently, "Thar she blows." He turned around, muttering to himself, "Shut up, you're talking too much."

"Ed, did Penguin ever say anything about that night?"

"Hmm?"

"Did Penguin ever tell you anything about the night that Galavan died?"

"No. Remember? I nipped that friendship in the bud."

"And you didn't talk to him in the G.C.P.D? When Barnes brought him in?" Jim questioned, his eyes narrowing.

"Yes. No. I- Just to say hi." The tape clicked, and Ed nervously tried to step past, "Oh, tape's finished, I'm gonna give that a listen-"

Jim stopped him, stepping in front of the tall man, "Let's both listen."

"Swell idea."