twenty one | COPS N' KILLERS

"Hello, Jim. It's Barbara."

THOSE FOUR WORDS were enough to make Gordon's hand shake whilst he was holding the phone.

He looked down at it for a second, not believing his ear. After a while, he sighed, "Hi, Barbara. How are you?"

"Oh me? I'm fabulous. How are you?"

"I'm good. What's new?" He casually asked, as if they were friends and a cop and a crazy woman.

"Mr Cool Guy, huh? You must be so mad at me."

"Listen to me. If you turn yourself in, I can help you," Jim told her, although he seriously doubted she would believe him.

She scoffed, "How Jim? By taking me back to Arkham? I don't think so."

"You're sick," he continued, but it wasn't meant to be a jab at her.

"Of course. Everything's always my fault. So typical... How's Isabella doing?"

Jim instantly glanced over the railing. His daughter was chatting giddily with Edward Nygma, who seemed happy to be in her company.

"Listen to me, I know you Barbara. I know you. You're a good, kind woman, and an amazing mother. This isn't you," Jim told her, ignoring her last question.

She chuckled derisively, "You could always make me laugh."

He heard the sound of a loud and evil laugh, but realised that it wasn't coming from the phone. He looked over by the door, to see Barbara.

She spotted Isabella, who didn't see her as she talked to Nygma enthusiastically. Barbara then looked back at Jim, smirking as she said, "How do I look?"

Jim put down the phone, which made her walk out of the building. He ran after to get her, not realising the danger he was leaving his daughter in.

〰️〰️〰️〰️

Jerome saw Isabella as he walked into the G.C.P.D, in a police outfit. He stiffened when she giggled at the tall man with glasses.

"Stupid four-eyed prick, " he cursed under his breath, earning a look from the man in front of him.

"What did you say?"

"I need to talk to Commissioner Essen right away. It's an emergency," Jerome lied, making sure the hat on his head covered his eyes and putting on an accent.

"Yeah, go ahead, she's right upstairs."

He went up the stairs as quick as he could without looking suspicious. One of the doors to her room was already open, so he stepped inside, tapping on it.

"Yo, Commish."

Essen looked up from her paperwork, "Yeah."

Jerome lifted his head up, so she could clearly see him. She instantly reached for a weapon, but he pulled out his gun, pointing it at her with a wide grin.

"Heard you were looking for us."

Jerome mockingly flinched as he heard the sound of the smoke grenade going off behind him. He laughed at the screams without any remorse.