Fandom Notes (PLEASE READ)

For most people, fanfiction can be challenging to read. Though tropes cringe on the surface, they conceal hidden gems. A story like this is no exception, combining two little-known or discussed brands. For this purpose, I created notes for Carrie and Killer Instinct.

You may skip this section if you’re familiar with either or both brands. Book clubs and awards cannot rate this page, as it shares content. The following may contain spoilers from both fandoms. Read at your risk.

BACKGROUND ON CARRIE (BOOK/MOVIE)

Stephen King’s horror novel Carrie debuted on April 5, 1974, with 30,000 copies. From a female perspective, he credited the book to his wife. In 1975-94, American schools banned the novel for its explicit content. It remains banned in Nevada, Vermont, Iowa, New York, Pennsylvania, and North Dakota.

Despite this, the series produced four motion pictures. Upon its release on November 3, 1976, the first movie earned $33.8 million. As one of the greatest horror films, it has left a lasting impression on popular culture.

On March 12, 1999, the sequel The Rage: Carrie 2 premiered. It follows the story of Rachel Lang, a high school student who suffers oppression and ridicule by her peers. Rachel discovers she is Carrie’s half-sister and possesses similar telekinetic powers. Rachel fights back against her bullies, wreaking havoc. However, the film didn’t match the original’s success.

In November 2002, NBC released a third adaptation of the novel. It was a made-for-TV movie directed by David Carson and featured an ensemble cast including Angela Bettis, Patricia Clarkson, and Rena Sofer. The 2002 version received mixed reviews from critics and audiences alike. While some praised the performance and how it stayed faithful to the book, others believed it didn’t bring anything fresh.

On October 18, 2013, a modern remake of the old movie hit theaters. Directed by Kimberly Pierce, it brought Carrie’s story to a younger generation of viewers. While the remake stayed true to the novel’s core themes, such as the destructive effects of bullying, the result of repressed anger, and the mental torture it takes on the individual, it also added layers to certain characters. However, its lack of identity and scare factor led to mixed reviews. Despite this, the film earned $84 million, a testament to Stephen King’s enduring power.

A musical based on the novel appeared between the first two films. After sixteen previews and five shows, it shut down. The show failed because of negative feedback from fans and critics.

PLOT: Carrie White, a shy and sheltered high school student, suffers from bullying by her classmates and abuse by her devout mother. After discovering she has telekinetic powers, she uses them to seek revenge on her bullies, resulting in the largest disaster in Chamberlain.

To learn about the Carrie franchise, visit this link:

https://carriemovies.fandom.com

You can type it into the search bar. There is also a video below explaining the history.

For the novel, visit Amazon.com/e-books.

BACKGROUND ON KILLER INSTINCT (VIDEO GAME)

In 1994, Midway published Killer Instinct, a fighting game developed by Rare. A hybrid of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, it became a fan favorite with its impressive graphics, fast-paced gameplay, and unique combo system. In addition, it featured a broad roster of characters, each with special fighting moves and styles.

Killer Instinct came to Super Nintendo the following year. The 16-bit format, however, required most features to be adjusted. As a result, the game received two modes: practice and tournament.

Rare released Killer Instinct for the Game Boy the same year. However, the system removed two characters and altered their moves. This version received poor reviews compared to the original.

The game became a hit upon its release, leading to a sequel in 1996. Despite its low critical acclaim, the sequel did well. The same year, Nintendo 64 released Killer Instinct Gold. Like the Super Nintendo, the system altered the game to fit the format.

The game fell into hiatus following Microsoft’s buyout.

In September 2012, Microsoft applied to renew the Killer Instinct trademark. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office denied the renewal, citing a TV series having the same name but not connected to the game. After much debate, Fox and Microsoft settled the trademark dispute.

2013 marked the return of Killer Instinct as a free-to-play game based on seasons. It marked a significant shift in game distribution and pricing. This approach not only kept the existing players engaged but also encouraged newcomers to join and experience the gameplay.

This reboot kept several elements of the previous games’ plots. Despite the initial nitpicking, it served as a milestone for the franchise and the gaming industry.

The franchise also had a comic book adaptation. Acclaim Comics published the original game. Dynamite Comics published the reboot after Season Three.

PLOT: Ultratech, while powerful, is now perceived as an aid organization. To uplift humanity in a hostile world, ARIA, the cybernetic CEO, searches for solutions to human frailties. Her tampering awakens ancient abominations, endangering the Earth. As part of ARIA’s ultimate test, humanity must fight for survival.

Killer Instinct 2013 is available on Xbox One, Windows 10 PC, and Steam. To learn about the characters, visit this link:

https://killerinstinct.fandom.com

You can type it in the search bar. There is also a video below to learn more about its history.

You can find the comics on Amazon Kindle or any comic app.