Chapter 43

Norman's pov

within minutes the door was busted open and her mother ran in hysterically crying. She ran straight to her daughters bedside. Her father walked in after. Sean and I immediately stood up. Her dad walked over to us and stood next to me,

"would've gotten in sooner, but there's paparazzi swarming the hospital"

i sighed. I should've known it would be bad,"I'm sorry sir"

he said nothing and just looked back at his wife who was crying over her daughter,"any change?"

"unfortunately no" I sighed.

he nodded and then looked over to sean. I immediately said,"I'm sorry, this is my best friend sean. Sean this is mark, Kayla's dad"

mark shook hands with sean,"pleasure"

"very nice to meet you sir" he replied.

nancy hesitantly left Kayla's side and rushed into me hugging me tightly. She was crying into my shoulder and it took everything for me to not cry with her. When she pulled out of the hug, she smiled at me faintly and then looked to sean. Sean smiled and stook his hand out,

"sean"

nancy smiled and wiped a tear,"I know who you are. My daughter and son loved the saints."

sean chuckled,"well thank you mam."

2 days later

Still no change. She doesn't move. Anything. She's still cold as ice. I sit in my usual spot in a chair next to the right side of the bed. Nancy is on the left. Sean sits on the windowsill and mark on the couch. Non of us have got an ounce of sleep in days. I look across the room to her mom. She had bags under her eyes and is fighting sleep.

"You need some rest mrs. Rolfes" I said.

she immediately shook her head no and ran a hand through Kayla's hair.

"He's right nance" mark said.

she glared at her husband and sighed,"I can't. What if something happens?"

i dig through my pocket and pull out my keys. I threw them to sean who jumped cause he wasn't expecting it. I smirked and said,

"take er to our apartment"

"no no norman I'm fine" she protested weakly.

"please. We will call if anything happens" I said.

she sighed and took one last look to her daughter,"alright"

i smiled as she got up and sean escorted her out of the room. My attention went back to her as I heard her dad sigh and he walked to the chair nancy was just in. I was still extremely nervous around her dad.

"Thank you..for that" he said.

i made eye contact and said,"she needed rest"

"I know, but that woman is so damn stubborn. Now you know where kayla gets it" he chuckled.

i chuckled too and took a deep breath,"sir?"

he arched an eyebrow and I sighed,"I love your daughter.i...I just can't explain how she makes me feel. She makes me happy. I know you're not happy with the age difference, but sir, when she wakes up. I want to ask her to marry me"

He was silent for a while and just starred at me. My heart was pounding and I was beginning to sweat. It felt like forever until he finally spoke,

"and your son how does he feel about this?"

shit! I had totally forgotten about Mingus,"he's coming down next week. I was hoping to speak to him then"

mark nodded and then sighed,"you're right norman, the age difference bothers me"

my breathing hitched as he continued,"she's gone through a lot growing up and honestly the only time I ever saw a real smile on her face was when you were on tv or a movie. I use to think it was just some crush, a phase she would go through, but it wasn't. I let her intern for the walking dead, just so she could get a kick out of it. I was honestly never expecting her to get a part on it, let alone get close to you. She was so excited to move down here and so excited to meet you. All the while deep inside I knew I was losing my little girl. Then when you guys came up and she introduced you to me...I thought it was fake. There was no way any of this was happening, you had stolen her from me."

nerves were taking over my body," sir I..." I started to say but he cut me off,

"and for the first time in my daughters life, I had seen pure happiness. And I was scared that you were just using her. But then I saw the way you looked at her. It's the same way I looked at her mom. You have my blessing"

i froze and I let out a long breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"Thank you sir" I whispered.

about an hour later sean had returned and mark was taking a nap on the couch.

"so does her parents know about the baby?" Sean asked.

i shook my head,"no"

"you think they should?" He asked.

i sighed and looked at kayla,"yah, but when the time is right.....we'll tell them together."

a few minutes later the doctor walked in,"mr. Reedus? May I speak to you?"

i looked at sean and then back at the doctor. I hesitantly nodded and followed him out to the hallway. He turned to me and I wrapped my arms across my shyest nervously. He sighed,

"your girlfriend is showing very little progress. The iv that's feeding her isn't supplying enough for her and the baby."

my breathing hitched,"what does that mean?"

"every ounce of nourishment that the if is supplying, the baby is taking. In shorter terms, the baby is killing her" he said.

i choked on a sob as I started breathing faster. I tried to control my emotions as it felt like my insides were each being torn apart. My eyes became glassy as I fought the tears and the whimpers that were coming from my lips. The doctor placed a hand on my shoulder,

"I'm sorry son, but we're gonna have to terminate the pregnancy"

i was shaking. My whole world just shattered into pieces. I was gonna lose my baby. I started nodding my head uncontrollably, avoiding eye contact with the doctor.

"When?" My voice cracked.

"Tomorrow morning" he sighed.

i nodded and the doctor said,"I'm very sorry" and he walked away.

i watched as he left. I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. I brought my hands up to my hair and squeezed as I took deep breaths. I had to try to calm down before I went back in the room. How was I gonna tell her parents?