Chapter 4: The Alley

It had been a week since the event. Zoya was alone in her room. She had received calls from different agents who wanted her to organise events. Zoya was very happy and she had said that she would look in to it. Zosh cannot accommodate more than two events at a time. Hence, Zoya chose two of the best contracts she could work on. One was a marriage and the other a golden jubilee celebration. Zoya felt at peace as she was sure that she would be able to fulfil Yash's dream of making Zosh successful. If she could work hard, everything would fall in to place, Zoya thought.

Zoya was sitting on her bed with Yash's photos scattered all around her. She missed him so much. Tears fell from her eyes as though they would never stop. She was happy with Yash. She had a home in Mussoorie where she made pottery, visited Dargah, talked to her parents and listened to old songs. Her life was perfect, a loving husband, a caring family and a beautiful and safe life. Everything ended with a phone call. A phone call that informed her of her husband's death and when she saw his body the shock was double because he was not alone. He was found with another woman with him holding her hand in death. Zoya tried to separate their hands but in vain. Everyone concluded that Yash had an affair with that woman but Zoya would never believe it. Yash can never cheat on her, Zoya thought. He loved her too dearly and would never betray her. Zoya cried in the silence that embraced her. Alone and scared. Her room was lit up because darkness scared Zoya but her life seemed to be a black hole without any hope of light.

Maya stood at the balcony watching the city below her. It was over midnight, still she was not sleepy. It had started again, insomnia. On days like these when she couldn't sleep and was tired Maya would take sleeping pills and go to sleep but tonight she didn't want to sleep. She wanted to stay awake. She wanted to figure out what had changed in the last one week that she is again unable to sleep. Maya went to her room and took out her paint brush. Maya loved to paint. Black and white paintings. She mixed the colours. Only Maya's paintings could speak her mind to her. Whenever Maya was confused she would paint and whatever that was in her mind would come out through the grey shades. Maya started painting. When she began, she had no idea of what it was becoming and later it became a person's face and then it was clear. It was Zoya's face. Maya threw the paint brush away and used her hands to complete the painting. It got more and more real and it felt as though Zoya was standing in front of her with a smile. For the first time Maya thought it would have been better if the painting was in colour because Zoya deserved colours. She deserved everything colourful, everything alive. After finishing the painting Maya sat in front of it, watching it thoroughly for hours. She could feel that everything was perfect and beautiful. Maya smiled. Then she got up and took the painting to her bed and placed it on the pillow next to her and closed her eyes. Sleep was never more peaceful for Maya.

Zoya was checking a venue out when she got a call from an unknown number

Zoya was checking a venue out when she got a call from an unknown number. Zoya picked the call.

Zoya: Hello, who is this?

There was no answer from the other end and the caller hung up. Zoya didn't take it seriously and continued checking the venue and discussed the venue arrangements with Mona and Shawn. Zoya's phone rang again.

Zoya: Hello, who is this?

There was a long silence then the caller spoke.

Maya: it's me Maya Mehrotra. I just called to check if you got your payment for the party.

Zoya: oh, Maya, yes I did. I got it on the same night itself. I am so grateful that you had sent it with your secretary.

Maya: I am glad that you received it.

Zoya: Maya, is that all you wanted to ask me? Is there anything else.

Maya: I am hungry. I want to eat. Would you like to join me?

Zoya: what? I mean, I am at a venue. You might not know the place. It's not nearby your office. Why do you want to take trouble. You should eat right away. Please don't stay hungry.

Zoya was really confused about the sudden turn of events. But she tried to take it casually.

Maya: it's okay Zoya. I know where you are. In fact, I am standing right outside the venue.

Zoya was more shocked than surprised. She couldn't speak.

Maya: Zoya don't get confused. I came here for a meeting and saw you here so I thought that we should eat together or else I will be eating alone as I don't know anyone else here.

Zoya felt bad for Maya. Zoya: Sure Maya. Let's go and eat. I am coming out now.

Zoya asked Shawn to take care of everything and asked all of her employees to eat something and she walked out of the venue and found Maya's car parked outside and Maya sitting on its front. Maya gave a small smile looking at Zoya and Zoya reciprocated.

Maya: Come Zoya, get inside the car. I was so bored, thank God I found you.

Zoya: I am so happy that I could see you too.

Zoya got inside the car and Maya drove it to a restaurant nearby and they took their seats.

Maya ordered for both of them after asking for Zoya's preferences. Both of them ate and Maya kept on asking questions about Zoya, about her parents, school, hometown and likes and dislikes. Questions were very formal and Maya talked very less and made sure Zoya kept on speaking to her. She deliberately avoided asking questions about Yash as Maya knew that would hurt Zoya.

They had their lunch and got in to the car and Maya drove Zoya back to the venue. Zoya got out of the car and thanked Maya.

Zoya: Thank you Maya for the lunch. Will see you later.

Maya: No Zoya, I am the one who should thank you. You gave me company. I am grateful.

Maya extended her hand to Zoya and Zoya felt really strange as Maya never shook hands with anyone still Zoya took it and shook it.

Maya: I know it's strange to ask but can we be friends. I really like your company and I don't have many friends. It's so tough for me to mingle with people but you seem to be so easy-going, so please.

Zoya was confused with Maya's behaviour that day but she smiled and said yes. Maya wanted to be friends with her and Zoya don't even know anyone in Mumbai and it was good to have a friend. Zoya smiled. Maya smiled back and she got into the car. Zoya waved and walked in to the venue. Maya started her car but stayed there until the last pigment of Zoya's shadow was out of her sight.

Amrutha