Chapter 4: Remembrance

Zoya slowly sat up on the bed, supporting herself on the wall. She was going to be discharged soon. Zoya wanted to go to the bathroom but she couldn’t walk on her own as she had a broken leg. Zoya sat on the bed for sometime waiting for someone to come and help her.
Zoya had come to know about a few things in the last one week. Yash, who was in love with her was indeed married to her. But, he had died in a car accident while trying to help his friend. Later, Zoya had fallen in love with a woman, Maya Mehrotra and had married her a few months back. Though Zoya had no memory of any of these, she had to believe it as it was her mother who had told her about the incidents. Zoya had cried for a long time when she heard about Yash’s death. But more than herself, it was Maya whom she had felt more sad for. Maya visited her everyday. Zoya felt that Maya had never left. She was always there. Her eyes were always watery and there was a lot of pain and hope in them. But Zoya couldn’t reciprocate any of that. She couldn’t remember anything about Maya, anything at all.
Zoya couldn’t hold the urge any longer. She had to pee. Zoya tried to get up and almost fell down but, someone came running towards her and held her body tight to help her from falling. Zoya took deep breaths while looking at the person. It was Maya. Maya Mehrotra, her wife. Zoya gulped. She was lost in Maya’s eyes for a moment.
Maya: Zoya, please be careful. Why didnt you call someone for help?
Zoya: I am sorry.
Maya’s eyes and her voice suddenly became soft.
Maya: I didn’t mean it that way. Sorry, if I sounded angry. What do you want to do, Zoya?
Zoya: I want to go to bathroom. I need to pee. Would you call my Ammi?
Zoya saw a sad expression in Maya’s eyes.
Maya wanted to say something but she kept it to herself. Zoya understood what she wanted to say.
Zoya: I am sorry for doing what I am doing to you, Maya. But I can’t remember anything and I can’t be the way you want me to be. I wish that I could remember. I really do.
Maya: Zoya, please sit. I will find your Ammi for you. Give me 5 minutes.
Maya helped Zoya to sit on the bed and ran to find Roshanaq and came back with her. Maya stood and watched Zoya being taken care by Roshanaq. A lone tear escaped her eye.

****

Zoya was brought to her parents’ house after she was discharged from the hospital. Maya wanted to take her to their home but she didn’t want to put any pressure on Zoya. Maya was going to go to her home alone but Roshanaq stopped her and asked her to come home with them. Roshanaq knew how much Maya and Zoya loved each other and separating them for no matter whatever the reason, was not acceptable for her.
Maya sat next to Zoya in the car. None spoke a word in the entire journey. Maya looked out of the window to avoid glancing at Zoya. When the car reached Zoya’s house, Maya helped Zoya to get out of the car, holding tight to her body to support her. Maya could breath well after many days when she stood next to Zoya and when for the first time Zoya didn’t seem to mind her presence. Maybe, she did but was not showing it out. Maya’s face became pale. Maya helped Zoya to go in the house and then in to her room. Zoya sat on the bed and Maya immediately positioned the pillows for Zoya to sit comfortably.
Zoya: Thank you, Maya.
Maya smiled.
Maya: You don’t have to say that to me, Zoya.
Zoya tried to smile. Maya kept her bag down.
Maya: I will go downstairs and will get your other stuff. Here is your phone, Zoya. I had it in my bag.
Maya gave Zoya’s phone to her and went down to bring her bags. Zoya sat on the bed and switched on her phone. It was fully charged. Maya might have charged it, Zoya thought. When the phone was on, Zoya was taken aback to see the screensaver. It was Maya’s picture. A pouting Maya Mehrotra. Zoya didn’t know that Maya could pout so cutely like that. Zoya’s lips curved in to a smile without her knowledge. When she realised it, she bit her lips.
Zoya tried to unlock her phone but she couldn’t remember the pattern. She has forgotten it as well. She didn’t know what to do. Zoya tried many, but she couldn’t get in. Zoya heard Maya’s footsteps and she immediately kept the phone away. She smiled at Maya. Maya was surprised. She smiled back.
Maya: You might want to take bath and change right? I will get your mother for you. I will be outside. I have to make a few phone calls.
Zoya: Okay.
Zoya looked at Maya. She was really tired. She had dark circles under her eyes and her face was puffy due to constant crying. Zoya felt a prick of pain in her heart. But she didn’t say anything. Maya walked out of the room. Zoya took her phone and tried new patterns and none worked.